MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
02/16/2010 12:09 AM

I feel like giving up on Therapists

Skye35
Skye35  

I mean it feels like a waste of time to me. I have been through two and they helped some yes. But my time with my current therapist(who I haven't seen in a month) it's almost up and well I've been thinking I need to start searching for a new one. But man I don't really feel like having to rehash my story all over again. It's just too upsetting and I get depressed about those things in the past I'd rather not think about much.

I've never had a therapist give me homework. And both therapists I saw were getting pushy on me...like trying to push their opinions on me or pretty much telling me what to do. I disagreed with their methods or with the way they went about the session with me.

So yeah they were licenced social workers. And maybe that's the problem right there. They wouldn't have all the credentials to deal with Bipolar disorder or how to deal with someone like me who is a self injurer. They just have no clue.

Anyways vent over, finally sleeping pill is kicking in...I will be back to continue this rant tomorrow oops later today.Blink

02/16/2010 12:28 AM
ApRiLGeTsAngry77

Hi Skye! I am sorry that you are having problems with your therapists. As a single mom, I can not afford a therapist so I practice biblotherapy which is reading therapy. It is not for everyone but it sure is helping me. There are many books and resources available for trating self harm. I just did a quick research and found this:

http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Self-Injury-Workbook- Robin-Connors/dp/0967238900/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books& qid=1266308809&sr=8-1-catcorr

As I mentioned, biblotherapy is not for everyone as some need more support than what a book can offer- but it is something to think about. Good luck on whatever you decide to do!

02/16/2010 12:38 AM
Skye35
Skye35  

thanks so much April! I mean sure maybe there are therapists out there who are really good at what they do and who mesh well with me and others but I just never seem to be able to find what I am looking for.

Thanks for the links. I will def. check them out!

02/16/2010 01:33 AM
dizzyb
dizzyb  
VIP Member

Skye, finding my therapist was one of the best things that happened to me. But I think it's important to see a clinical psychologist, not just a counsellor. They have the knowlege and experience to deal better with the illness, the cause and the effects. And yes, I had to start my story all over again, but it was good cos I got it all out. And she saw it in a way that no one else had before. I just started with what was hurting the most and worked from there. You don't have to start from the beginning .. well my opinion anyway. Keep trying! Good luck

02/16/2010 03:14 AM
mouseam
mouseam  

Skye, I am going through the process of switching my therapist, as well. I think it's all about finding the right fit. Test some out, see what works. Personally, the main reason I am changing therapist, because I thought of who would I call in a crisis, and it scared when that it was not her. So, I decided time to change. I actually have an appointment tonight. I am scared out of my mind to re-tell my story, esp with being on the cusp of depression for a while. But, I know in the end it's best for me.

I agree with dizzy on that is should be a psychologist, they are actually PhD's not just master's level, and have more knowledge. You may want to find a therapist who specializes in BP.

Keep on looking for what's best for you! Hope it all works out! Good Luck!

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved