MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
06/25/2008 03:31 PM

How do I encourage BP gf to take her Rx?

Ghost

This seems like it could be a sensitive thing. I know when my family thinks I'm being irritable or depressed they will tell me to "take a pill" and that usually makes me even angrier. How do I encourage my BP gf gently to get her Rx filled already!? She's been taking some of my clonopin but has another prescription (at least) that I know she hasn't been taking and I've seen alarming (at least to one who has only begun to experience a relationship with BPD) swings from tears to laughter even more than usual. Anybody have any tips on how to broach the subject gently?

06/25/2008 04:11 PM
lobo
lobo  

There are lots of folks on here that are not BP and have been thru your scenario so they'll probably chime in. But, you can't make her take anything and do you really want to become the med police for someone else? It will only put you in an oppositional position with her when a relationship needs cohesiveness and minimize the divisiveness. My .02.

06/25/2008 04:22 PM
Ghost

Thanks for your reply. Those were basically my thoughts as well. She's an adult and I really don't feel like it's my job to be the "med police." This doesn't stop my family from nagging me about her meds. Sometimes I regret being honest with my family, but it seemed impossible this time when they see how our various ups and down affect me. I'm just trying to be there for her when she needs me. Sometimes I just wonder if I'm meeting my responsibilities to her, that's all. She's depressed today and it's worrying me because I usually can't be of any help when she's in this state. I think she's seeing her doc today, though, perhaps that will help some or maybe her meds can be adjusted so she's not so averse to them. Thanks again for your input.

06/25/2008 04:25 PM
KrissyH
KrissyH  

Practice what you preach sweety....Show her that you are getting yourself under control and managing your own disorder, and she might be inspired enough to follow suit.

When I was unmedicated and having episodes (that I loved btw) If you would have told me to take meds I woulda told you to bend over so I could put those meds.....anyway......YOU BOTH NEED TO SEE A PDOC honey

06/25/2008 04:28 PM
Ghost

You're undoubtedly right about the damn pdoc for me. I do, however, take my medication. There are a lot of questions I hope someone has answers for... Once more, thanks for your input. This has been a confusing time for me and it may get worse.

06/25/2008 04:35 PM
lobo
lobo  

If you're trying to keep up witn an unmedicated BP then you're better off moving the Empire State Building over 6". If she's unmedicated then the rules are going to change every 5 minutes and no one can readjust to keep up with it. Sometimes you just gotta keep your head down and cover up and wait.

Post edited by: lobo, at: 06/25/2008 17:05

06/25/2008 04:43 PM
KrissyH
KrissyH  

Me unmedicated......Honey lets go to the beach...we can? ok cooool...no I DIDNT say i wanted to go to the beach! are you kidding me!!! Why would you bringm e here, the sand the sun, they irritate the shit outta me....Awww Im sorry honey, I didnt mean to hurt your feelings I love you.....Stop acting like a woos you cry baby bitch! I didnt wanna come here in the first place!!!!!!!! Hey honey, can we paint the living room...........see what Im saying sweety??? You cant force ANYONE let alone a BP to bend to your wishes or desires.....

06/25/2008 04:59 PM
Ghost

I wouldn't want her to bend to my desires, but it seems as though it must be much harder on her than me and I want her to do everything she can to give herself the best chance of feeling balanced. Don't misunderstand my motivations. Hopefully her dr. visit will help a bit. Maybe when I see one I'll get some insight into myself as well. Lobo: thanks for the pragmatic words, but for now I'll keep pushin on the Empire State building.

06/25/2008 05:07 PM
lobo
lobo  

LOL, hang onto that sense of humor...you're gonna need it Laughing. It's called gallows humor, "Hey fellers, is that a new rope?".

Post edited by: lobo, at: 06/25/2008 17:09

06/25/2008 05:15 PM
KrissyH
KrissyH  

Humor is the only thing that will get you through this....oh and balls of steal, you know, like waht it takes to move the empire state building!!! lol

In all seriousness Ghost, we joke about it because we have to live with it.....this is our daily exsitance....we can cry, we can blame, we can get angry or we can laugh...i choose to laugh

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved