MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/04/2010 06:26 PM

Bipolar Depression and Job Loss

Lisa1976

I have been very depressed and have discussed the mood swings with my tdoc about a job loss that happened three weeks ago. I am just wondering how long is it normal to feel down about something like this? Obviously I have had feelings of anger and injustice that go with mania. I am just wondering what is normal before I should feel like looking for work again. I was having difficulty performing the work before. The thought of even working part time while waiting on my disability terrifies me. Any personal insights would be great.

01/04/2010 06:34 PM
Lrose35
Lrose35  

I would talk to your pdoc to see if they can expediate your SSI. I feel like if you are unable to work, you shouldnt push it.

01/04/2010 06:42 PM
Lisa1976

How long should it take to get approved if you get your doc to expedite it?

01/04/2010 07:11 PM
carmen33
carmen33  
VIP Member

Lisa, it's hard to get back into the job market, after my hospital stay, I intentionally took the full unemployment time to get together, I don't believe I was even ready then. It takes a while, how long is different for everyone, you've filed for your disability? talk with your doctor like Rose suggested, have you filed for your unemployment? even if you've been fired for a valid reason, you can still collect it, right before my hospital stay and probably partially because of it, I was fired and for good reason, I was fined if you will because of it being a valid firing, for like 8 weeks, then my unemployment kicked in.

Just be gentle with yourself..things will work out.

01/04/2010 07:19 PM
Lisa1976

I applied for unemployment and disability. Just still taking it day by day. I am having to wait on unemployment because I was terminated, but I am fighting it. I still feel like I need to contribute to society in the mean time. People are starting to think I am lazy.

01/04/2010 08:04 PM
harobed
harobed  

Lisa - take a deep breath. I do social security disability and unemployment benefits as part of my practice. Everyone knows that SSD takes awhile, but unemployment can take awhile, too.

I would recommend that you stay close w/your tdoc and work w/the pdoc if necessary, but these kinds of drastic changes in life can take the wind right out of you and that's normal for what I see.

Normal is obviously not near what we experience mood-wise. Hang tight, if you've filed for everything then things will eventually fall into place - maybe another job, even.

H.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved