MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/01/2010 10:33 PM

Remedies for Depression spells

Adorablealwyz

I suffer the most with very bad lows of depression. Sometimes they are triggered by dramatic life events, but sometimes they come out of nowhere. Its very difficult not only for me, but for the people in my life. I am scared that if I cannot control this depression I will push away my support system. I am in graduate school. I live with a mother who has bipolar, but will not admit it, or treat it. I do not work because of my anxiety & depression. Plus, my school work is difficult. It does not help when my best support system (my best friend) moved away 6 months ago which has made things very difficult. I spend most of my time alone. My boyfriend does not know how to support me or what to do in these depression spells. And I'm not even sure what to tell him. It hurts crying for no reason, for placing on this chaos on others, and finding no relief for myself. I have been in counseling for almost a year. It has helped alot with managing my emotions, but these depression spells keep coming back...the same strength, leaving me little control of what to do with these emotions, especially in what to do to make them go away. Its hard feeling like I have no support from my boyfriend, because he is ignorant to this disorder. I grew up with multiple traumatic events..and his life was definitely that of the contrary. I have had men in the past leave because they could not take the depression. It was too overwhelming. I am scared of the possibility that I'll never be able to have a relationship because of this disorder. Basically, I'm just crying out for some help. I'm doing everything I know of: taking the medicine, seeking therapy, goodness- I'm even obtaining my masters in counseling myself. BUT, this will not go away or get better. Anyone have any suggestions, please??

01/01/2010 10:56 PM
ComingUndone
ComingUndone  

Hey Adorable, I'm actually also going for a master's in counseling. Don't give up - keep trying different counselors (if you think you may need to) and meds until you find the right ones. It is possible for you to feel "normal" and not lonely and depressed all the time. Your boyfriend isn't going to be able to offer you everything you need..he's not superman Smile So try to keep in touch often with your best friend, and maybe you could even visit? There are also support groups (online and in person) that could help you deal with the traumatic events and depression. I think hope is important in getting better, so don't lose it.

01/01/2010 10:59 PM
Fierosmom

Welcome Adorable, I struggle with major depression too from time to time. Have you spoken to your Psychiatrist about it? My mom was diagnosed and diagnosed or not if mom is a trigger for you that's your reality. Financially moving probably isn't a great option, but perhaps you could start house/pet sitting on the side. You will get a break and make some extra money.

I have purchased a SAD lamp and hope it helps me b/c I find the short days/winter tough. You may want to also join a support group. Sometimes finding a friend that understands mental illness really helps. I made a great friend at work who also has unipolar depression and he has been great for me. Posting here also helps. Again welcome. Beth

01/01/2010 11:10 PM
mbutterman

Hi Adore,

Welcome to the forums. I try not to be wordy but I do want to be give good information.

I like the forums and this is a great start but as you are experiencing that when your friend moved, it left no support system. My best advice is it better to establish several pillars of support. You mentioned college, you could goto student services and inquire about groups that focus on bipolar. If you go to a clinic, ask for groups that you can attend and these are free for the most part.

As the standard advice I give. NAMI (National Alliance For The Mentally Ill) could clue you into activites outside this forums to find support. Don't make these forums your one stop shop for support. I would encourage to utilize as many opportunites you can find.

The idea here is if a piller was to fail, you have tohers and so it can relieve alot of stress. Unfortunately people have the choice to deny there health issues and maybe one day she will but the focus here is taking care of yourself and making sure you get through school. Your mom has made her choices and while I know you care for her but you have to be strong for yourself and one day she will see that and want it for herself. You can't be there for her if you aren't there for yourself. I will try to help as much as I can so answer in a post or PM if there is any questions.

Merrill

01/02/2010 11:12 AM
NikkiJo
NikkiJo  

Are you getting enough exercise and B12 in your diet? B12 is a natural mood booster, it prevents depression the same way omega-3 prevents mania

01/02/2010 04:15 PM
bagofcandy
bagofcandyPosts: 1259

If you're sticking it out with this boyfriend because you're afraid you'll never find someone who can understand you then I think you're making a mistake, and surrounding yourself with people "who'll never understand" you.

Have you worked with your tdoc at all to identify the situations that trigger these depressions? If not, maybe you should devote the next several sessions to this topic. That way, you can try to stop the depressions before they progress....

It also sounds like your med regimen is not optimal. Your pdoc should be working to stop the cycling. If you're experiencing recurrent depressions, that hasn't happened yet. So, maybe you should talk to your pdoc about getting your meds tweaked.

Finally, you have lots going on in your life right now. Take some time to think about everything you've done that's right and give yourself some credit for making it as far as you have.

Post edited by: bagofcandy, at: 01/02/2010 04:16 PM

01/02/2010 04:52 PM
leopardkisa

It is good to do something every day that is just for you, if you want to lose weight, take an hour a day and devote it to exercise to improve yourself. If you want to learn another language or just learn how to relax, take an hour a day where no one is allowed to disturb you.

01/03/2010 01:32 AM
santos63
santos63  

I also suffer with frequent depression. About half the time, I see or hear something sad and I start crying about that. Sometimes, I just don't know what I'm depressed about. And most of the time, I don't know what I want and seem to be able to make any decisions about my life and what I want to do, where I want to live, etc. My mind changes on a weekly or every other week. They all seem like good ideas and sound decisions when I make them. I take my meds and see my pdoc regularly. I don't have any faith or interest in therapy. Does anyone have any ideas that can help me?

01/03/2010 03:28 PM
bagofcandy
bagofcandyPosts: 1259

Santos, why don't you have faith in therapy? It sounds like it could help you with some of what you've discussed. I used to not believe in it either, but I found a great therapist who has helped me see myself differently...It took awhile to find a good one, but once you do it really helps. Bad tdocs, on the other hand, are a total waste of time.

01/03/2010 04:49 PM
santos63
santos63  

I went to therapy way back in the day, and it did me no good whatsoever. It was a waste of time and money. I recently went to 2 sessions, and it left me feeling angry. I don't want anyone to pry. I'm pretty private with people, and very slow to trust. I like the forum because I can open up with anonymity. My login is part of my last name and that's all everyone on here knows about my identity. I can't quite figure out why she made me angry, though. I don't know how talking to some stranger is supposed to help? That probably doesn't make ay sense, does it?

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved