MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
09/24/2013 07:48 AM

Can caffeine trigger hypomania?

OrganCrux

Can things like caffeine pills and coffee trigger hypomania? Has anyone ever became hypomanic from these things? I miss feeling a sense of well-being and euphoria. When I'm hypomanic I'm actually an interesting person to be around, but when I'm in a normal mood I rarely speak unless spoken to.

09/24/2013 08:09 AM
Catbaloo
CatbalooPosts: 6828
Group Leader

Too much caffeine definitely makes me wired, but I don't think it makes me hypomanic.

I always wonder if we are really more interesting when we are hypomanic or if we just think we are. I suspect that I'm just a pain in the arse. Laughing

09/24/2013 08:15 AM
Finnigan

I know too much caffeine makes me hyper and energy drinks make me pretty productive when I'm half asleep, but I've never had them make me hypomanic. I've heard that bipolars are supposed to go easy on the caffeine because it can make them hypomanic, but I've never had that experience.

I always think I'm so much more everything - social, intelligent, funny, engaging etc... when I'm hypomanic, but according to my husband....

09/24/2013 08:43 AM
TrixaLady
TrixaLady  

I take a caffeine pill every morning to get me out of the drug induced stupor that comes with meds. It makes me very awake and productive and dare I say hyper, but not quite like hypomania. Sometimes I wish for hypomania for the productivity. I want to clean and organize and get things done. I also want to feel good about myself. I just don't see caffeine getting me there.

09/24/2013 09:28 AM
Cthebird
Cthebird  
Group Leader

For me, I feel too much caffeine starts to make me anxious. Sometimes anxiety can feel slightly like the energized symptom of hypomania. I also know that too much caffeine reduces the effectiveness of my Lithium. So I suppose if I really went to town on the caffeine, there is a possibility that I would be less protected from hypomania.

09/26/2013 12:14 AM
lookinglass
lookinglassPosts: 251

If only it did! For me though, it doesn't. Caffeine is a very very mild stimulant. Just like drinking alcohol - a depressant - might not help, or will worsen depression, drinking coffee - a stimulant - while on the way to hypomania or mania probably doesn't help.

09/26/2013 12:18 AM
liamacker
liamacker  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Too much caffeine causes sickness not hypomania.

If you're chasing hypomania, this is a bad thing.

"When I'm hypomanic I'm actually an interesting person to be around"

I used to think that but then realised I was just jittery and annoying.

09/26/2013 12:44 AM
EstherTester
EstherTester  

I actually suffer from caffeine intolerance, so the effects of caffeine on me are double what most people have to deal with.

Yes, I would say it can. I've actually become extremely anxious and impatient off of it. But I heard that caffeine makes people hypomanic too.

09/26/2013 01:27 AM
liamacker
liamacker  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

I didn't realise caffeine intolerance could mimic hypomania symptoms.

I thought it was just physical adverse effects, increased heart rate, nausa etc.

The only mental side effect I knew of was irritability.

Post edited by: liamacker, at: 09/26/2013 01:28 AM

09/26/2013 02:47 AM
EstherTester
EstherTester  

It does. Very much so.

At first I didn't know if it was the lithium doing it, because people are advised to avoid consuming too much caffeine. But even when I stopped cold turkey, the same effects were there. Guess I gotta stay miles away from caffeine. Dizzy

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved