MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
08/03/2013 11:31 AM

Careers for Bipolar

MoodyRayan29
MoodyRayan29  

OK I have read a lot about fluctuating jobs and unstable careers of bipolar patients. So I initiated this conversation for all. Just write your profession (what you do to earn your living) and how you feel about it. You could also share your challenges in your work.

Starting from myself. I studied communications and in short span of three years I worked into event management, PR, E-learning and social media, which means I am in a phase of changing careers very frequently.

Your active participation is highly appreciated.

Thanks.

08/03/2013 11:47 AM
purplepink

I am a Social Worker and I have worked in Early Intervention, Adoptions, and in a psychiatric hospital. I currently run the Exceptional Family Member Program at Beale Air Force Base. Its a pretty stress free job and often I actually don't have enough to do. Perfect for me right now although I do like a job where I spend more time with my patients. Working is essential to my mental health.

08/03/2013 12:03 PM
EMTI2417

I work as an EMT-Intermediate, I work in a busy 911 system. I love my job and I love the medical field. Luckily for me the stress and sad situations I see dont bother me, the sleep cycle though takes a toll for sure.

08/03/2013 02:40 PM
Yrollam
YrollamPosts: 2476

As an adult, post college I've worked in immunology research, laboratory data management, daycare, as a teacher's assistant at an autistic school, as a direct care aide in a residential home for the adult developmentally disabled, in customer service, and as a nurse's aide in an impatient mental health facility. All of which I became sick due to my bipolar and had to go on short term disability and when that ran out had to quit. Now I am a freeloader awaiting my verdict from my disability hearing.

08/03/2013 02:53 PM
fairyinboots
fairyinbootsPosts: 395

Humanities Smile

I'm going to sound cliché, but my emotions gave me an interest towards humanity and arts. Although my talent lies in numbers, my passion are the humanities. I'm happy when I can apply both.

Post edited by: fairyinboots, at: 08/03/2013 03:04 PM

08/03/2013 03:03 PM
mem5497

I have never stuck with anything long enough, even with school I failed out, because I partied excessively and then would fail out because of my bouts with depression. I have worked in an array of jobs, including an adult book store in the middle of the night which was extremely dangerous (even though I enjoyed it tremendously. lol). I went to graphic design and hairdressing school, both I was hospitalized while attending. I was medicated with lithium and managed to graduate from hairdressing school and was quite successful as a part-time hairdresser for a short period of time, until I stopped taking my medication. Hairdressing allowed me get paid to use my creative juices, but unfortunately I lacked the social skills to work with the public. And no one could ever pay me enough to back to hairdressing now. I despise it. ROFL.

In school I was a high achiever, and it hurts when people ask me why I'm not a doctor now. I would love to just be a freelance artist in a perfect world. It has always been my passion and it always will be.

Post edited by: auntieurse, at: 08/03/2013 03:04 PM

08/03/2013 05:11 PM
TrixaLady
TrixaLady  

I was an HR Assistant for a frozen food processing plant for 5 years seasonally until they didn't ask me to come back one year. It was a lot of fun, hiring, training, firing people in troves. When there was work, we needed more people than we could find off the street. Then we got more mechanized and went from 30 people on a production line to 7. The job worked for me because I could keep it together for a season and I could fall apart the rest of the year. I have since gotten on SSDI. Now I struggle with the big question of "What now?"

08/03/2013 06:46 PM
MoodyRayan29
MoodyRayan29  

I thought freelance work would really help me to continue working in long term but unfortunately I didn't work as freelancers face more tough time in claiming their payment and it becomes hard to get projects. Now I am thinking to try teaching as I loved it but I heard its also stressful. I have also studied humanities and never felt happy in corporate world.

08/03/2013 06:55 PM
lookinglass
lookinglassPosts: 246

I think you need to work wherever you feel you would enjoy. There are plenty of people with bipolar in stable jobs and good careers. It's important to do what you like because if you hate where you work, that's enough to throw you out.

08/03/2013 10:48 PM
Hoogan26
Hoogan26  

I work at a therapeutic group home for teenagers most of whom are trauma survivors and have mental health issues. I have worked there for 5 years now. Its a very stressful job but less so for me now that i switched to graveyards. The only other job I've had was a waitress and I still do that part time as a second source of income.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved