MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
12/16/2009 06:14 PM

Driven and ambitious with a bipolar brain?

Cabrita

Thank you everyone for the kind and warm welcome. I'm drowning, trying to accept and find a way to move on. How has being bipolar affected your job, career plans, choice of career? I find myself at the end of a very long education path but now with doubts that I can handle the stress that comes along with my current job. I don't want my employer's pity nor do I want to use my mental status as an excuse, but I can't ignore how this specific problem affects my performance. I thought I was doing so well and now I've cracked again...

12/16/2009 06:19 PM
YorkieLove
YorkieLove  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Before I was diagnosed and treated, I was driven, a real go-getter. Then I took on a huge project and worked myself half to death and had a nervous breakdown that has taken me over 4 years to recover from.

I realize now that the driven quality was hypomania, ie increase in goal oriented behavior. Stress is not a good thing for bipolar people, unless they're well medicated.

12/17/2009 03:41 AM
ApRiLGeTsAngry77

Cabrita welcome to MdJunction and welcome to the group. I have always been a go getter and people are always surprised how much I take on. I worked in a stressful financial field for 13 years. After completing my BS degree I realized that I could not fit in the square box my current job kept me in. I am now signed with another Financial Company and I will be taking the appropriate exams to become a Financial Advisor. I think this is a good fit because it will allow me a lot of freedom to choose my own hours and how much I work. So that is how bi polar has affected my career. I had to find something that provided me with an outlet for my ambitious energy but also with the option to slack off when I need to. Best of luck to you!

12/17/2009 04:18 AM
Lrose35
Lrose35  

I am fortunate to work for a very small family run company that allows me to be just as nuts as I need to be. I still have goals and ambitions but I find that I have a hard time getting motivated to do anything.

12/17/2009 04:20 AM
ApRiLGeTsAngry77

Action always comes before motivation. Don't let your goals and dreams drift off!

12/17/2009 12:28 PM
bagofcandy
bagofcandyPosts: 1259

Cabrita,

You should give yourself some credit and be lenient with yourself just a little. If you're now finishing your education (and alot of post bacc work was required), chances are you're a little burnt out - like most people would be. This doesn't mean that you won't be able to handle your chosen career....give yourself some much needed relaxation time to recover from working so hard!

Also, depression may be creeping in...have you spoken to your pdoc? It's never good to make life altering decisions when you're feeling off.

Plenty of successful people have bipolar and manage high profile careers, which means so can we!

12/18/2009 07:22 PM
Cabrita

Funny how the world looks completely different after a few days off with the right meds. Thank you everyone.

12/19/2009 07:56 AM
harobed
harobed  

Cabrita -

Don't know how old you are, but I could bounce back from a manic w/crash&burn a lot better in my 20's. And I had one of those in law school - bounced back and finished school.

I've had times in my career when I've been able to be very driven and ambitious, and times when I required a bit of a slow down - which can be very satisfying. Sounds as if several of us here have had that same flexibility in their career over time. If you're lucky you'll be in a position to get both functions of your career, as needed.

H.

12/19/2009 05:53 PM
Lisa1976

I hope things get better for everyone. It's a constant struggle. If you are fortunate enough to be able to work more power to you. I am still looking for the balance.

12/19/2009 06:35 PM
tinlizzy

Cabrita,

I co-own a tree service with my husband. We are in our sixth year and have made great strides. I have finished all my prerquisites for my RN nursing degree but will finish it later when my baby is in school full time. I am usually a ball of fire! I am the networking tye. I belong to a bartering group and work every Home show available.I also continue cleaning houses from my previous business that I sold to my good friend when our tree service needed a fulltime secretary/receptionist.

That being said I suffer from PPD, BPII, and SAD and have a 16 month old not to mention four other boys. I am finding it difficult to be the productive person I need to be. I am the one to coordinate the advertising, insurance, handle dissatisfied clients, answer the phones, etc...

I have been grieving the person I once was. I know that fundamentally I am the same person but I now need to accept my limits. It does not mean I am not productive it just means that I have to delegate more often.

I am sure there is some wise person with a great quote directly pertaining to this topic and it is on the tip of my tounge however Lithium makes me stupid so I will stop right now.

Good Luck to you in your every endeavor.

Liz

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved