MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
12/03/2009 11:35 PM

Military and BP

BoPeep

How do I start a new entry for my diary? Well hopefully someone can read and comment this next one..I am contemplating joining the military. Is it even possible for someone with BP to join? If so, how did you go about it? I spoke to someone and they said the Military's Chief Medical Officer can approve you. I'm sure I won't be allowed in combat...

12/04/2009 12:33 AM
JennyT

You'd need to talk to someone with more information, but I doubt it. I know multiple people who have been discharged from the military for psychiatric illnesses, and that includes bipolar.

12/04/2009 08:05 AM
midnightoker4220
midnightoker4220  

I was actually just recently thinking about the military and i found out that basically there is no room for mental disorders in the army. they dont even like it if you have had any kind of counseling. i guess its too much of a risk to have someone carrying a gun that is unstable. the only way you could join would be if there was no evidence of your bipolar (in doctor records)and you lied to them saying there was no problem at all. but i wouldnt suggest that you can get in a lot of trouble for lying.

12/04/2009 10:11 AM
BoPeep

Thx guys. And you're right lol - they'd def be on my case if I lied about having BP lol, so I won't do that.

12/04/2009 11:19 AM
craneman
cranemanPosts: 139

I signed up in 1987, and left in February 1988. My high school let me leave with my diploma early because my senior year i was just taking up space. I had all my credits needed in my junior year. Well any ways I had a suicide attempt at the end of my junior year and was sent to the phsych war and then reab. My recruiter said not to tell them anything about it.Well I was in the process of getting my top secret security clearence because of the rating I had chosen, when they found out about the two. I could have stayed in that rating if I would have ratted on my recruiter. But I chose to become a cook instead. One of two jobs that do not need a security clearence of any kind in the Navy. I don't know if I had been diagnosed with bp at that time if they would have let me in. But they did allow me to stay in and would have given me clearence if I had agreed to their terms. Ofcourse thay might have changed their view that was alot of years ago, and like I said I wasn't diagnosed at that time.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved