MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
12/01/2009 03:44 PM

should I read the side effects of medicines

Missy1968
Missy1968  

due to my bad experiences of depression over the past few days, I feel like my doc will put me on ambilfy when I see him on thurs.

I read people's experiences on it, some are good, some arent good.(read them on another website) Then I read the side effects of it on the ambilify website and it says can cause restlessness,insomnia, etc. Do you usually start off low,like 2mg? Of course I am so scared that the side effects will effect me - I am starting to freak already. I panic easily,even over small things.I've already tried geodon. after taking that a year and a half, I finally looked it up on the internet and the heart problems I was having was due to geodon. I just wonder if they are basically the same drug.help.

12/01/2009 04:57 PM
tinlizzy

I use to read the side effect papers all the time and i was petrified to take my meds. Now I just take my meds, listen to my body, and if any issues arise then I read the side effect papers given to me by the pharmacist that I save.

12/01/2009 05:00 PM
YorkieLove
YorkieLove  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

You can never really tell if you will have side effects until you try the med. I wouldn't panic about it. Try it and stay in close contact with your pdoc until your body adjusts to it.

12/01/2009 08:19 PM
merryatl
merryatl  

side effects vary across individuals. thats why when you look at the list of common, and then uncommon side effects, its about a 10000 things long. everything has side effects, whether it be tylenol, claritin, lithium, hydrocodone.. benadryl, blah blah. you won't know how your body will react to something until you take it. everything deserves a shot, if it doesn't fit well with your body well, i suppose you will have to try something else. i have side effects with lamictal, but the mood benefits at this point outweigh the side effects im experiencing. ability is a good medicine that a lot of people have success with. it couldn't hurt to try it Smile)

12/01/2009 09:28 PM
leopardkisa

yes , please please read the most common side effects of ALL medications you take, that way you can know if you're having a serious reaction or interaction with another drug.

12/01/2009 11:01 PM
Lisa1976

The geodon worked fine for a year for me then suddenly I put on 15 pounds. I took the abilify 3 years ago and gained thirty. I am taking it now and my weight is pretty stable. I don't recommend taking it at night because it can keep you awake. You might need xanax to go with it the first few weeks because it takes a while to work.

12/01/2009 11:42 PM
ohfaithful

Please read the side effects so that you will know what to look for...

12/02/2009 05:25 AM
Missy1968
Missy1968  

my doc told me to stay off of the internet - I've tried so many things he doesnt know what to do

12/02/2009 05:33 AM
Missy1968
Missy1968  

2 people told me to take it at night because it has some sedative effects - heard another took it during the day. I am having a hard time sleeping through the night now. I take klonopin 2mg but it barely works. I'm just scared I might have the restlessness and stuff, which will take so long to get rid of if I stop taking it. Especially with the sleep. I may refuse it and just stay the way I am. obviously the seroquel isnt working.

12/02/2009 07:02 AM
Fierosmom

Missy1968, I am certainly not in your shoes, but based on your posts I don't think you give the medication that you are prescribed on enough time to work. No not everything works for everyone, but it does take some time. You deserve to feel more stable. Beth

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved