MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
06/05/2008 08:13 AM

Help with husband

lcp0518
lcp0518Posts: 5

My husband was diagnosed as bipolar 2 years ago. Is it possible that a personal trauma can trigger bipolar disease to manifest itself at age 48? What can I do to help him when he is in his down time? I know there are things I can do but I just don't know what. Thanks.

06/05/2008 08:26 AM
WARHORSE
WARHORSE  
VIP Member

Hi, Icp. When my husband was first diagnosed in 1997, I did all the research that I could on the disorder. I truly believe that BPs are born with BP, and it's onset can come at any age. Yes, I believe that a personal trauma can cause the onset of it.

When my husband used to be depressed, I just gave him a lot of his own personal space, let him sleep as much as he felt he needed to.

Is your husband under treatment, taking his meds, getting therapy?

06/05/2008 08:44 AM
lcp0518
lcp0518Posts: 5

Thanks for writing me back. Yes, he is on medication and sees his doctor regularly. He's tried therapy but it didn't go very well. I have been thinking of going myself. I, for the most part, give him space but I worry that there is some little something I could do or say that might give him encouragement. I wish there was a way to help to focus on the accomplishments he makes, rather than all the expectations he has for himself and doesn't accomplish.

06/05/2008 08:46 AM
norma
normaPosts: 10109
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Dear Icp...welcome to the Bipolar Support Group. We are glad you joined us. There is also a group in MDJ for Bipolar in the Family which you may find to be of help. You can join that group also.

Why not invite your husband to join? If he needs support we are here for him. And of course, we are glad to help you too.

Like Warhorse said is hubby getting medical support? You might want to become involved there. Ask to go to the doctor with hubby. The more information you gather the better. Read some of the threads here...there is a great deal of experience, advice, stories of success and failure. And please don't hesitate to become involved, make comments, start discussions, or make friends here.

06/05/2008 08:54 AM
WARHORSE
WARHORSE  
VIP Member

Icp: Here is the link to the family support board:

http://www.mdjunction.com/forums/bipolar-in-the-family- discussions

Yes, you should go for therapy. It may help you to help you!

If he's taking his meds faithfully and still suffering from depression, you should let his dr. know as it may be time for a med change. I wish I had a magic answer for you, but alas I do not.

06/05/2008 04:01 PM
carmen33
carmen33  
VIP Member

Hi, Icp, welcome to the group, like your husband I too have the bipolar two, and have lived in a depressed state for a large part of my life, giving him space is a good idea, and keep letting him know that you appreciate all the efforts he makes, a lot of people, bipolar or not seem to make higher goals than are possible to achieve in the time schedule they set for themselves, my husband is one who does that, he tends to worry and fuss about the job he has now, it doesn't pay enough, etc.. I am just grateful he is working, he wasn't for over a year and he is not the one that's bipolar here. But I keep assuring him, that I appreciate what he does and what he does is enough right now... it covers some of the bills, my check takes care of the rest.

If your husband will let you, go to the doctors with him, let his doctor know that he is suffering from the depression, it might take something as simple as a medication adjustment..

Therapy would be of great benefit to you, as it will give you insight into the disorder and teach you coping methods for dealing with and living with this disorder.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved