MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
10/23/2012 12:58 AM

I talk to myself... A lot.

iamtwopeople

Am I the only person who talks to themselves? I don't mean the typical humming to myself or talking aloud here and there. I mean having full on conversations with myself, sometimes to the point that I say "oh my gosh stop talking to yourself" "there you go talking to yourself again". I will play out scenarios like i'm a celebrity and I am answering questions in an interview. I mean holy crap!

10/23/2012 02:18 AM
vacon04
vacon04  

Yeah it happens to me all the time, I start imagining conversations (some of them that I might have some day, some are just fantasy) and I keep doing it all the time until it drives me crazy.

When I'm feeling better I tend to do it a lot less, but when I'm depressed I do it all the time and it's just very frustrating.

10/23/2012 04:00 AM
TwoHearts

I do too, especially in the car. I do it most days, but it is worse when I'm stressed or manic. I'll practice things I'm going to say to people, talk through these elaborate make-believe scenarios, psych myself up for something etc. I always thought it's because some tasks (like driving to a known destination) are too predictable or boring so my mind makes it's own amusement. These conversations keep my brain busy while I attend to the more mundane parts of life. I have trouble doing this in my head too - I have to say it out loud.

10/23/2012 04:39 AM
Enigma1969
Enigma1969  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

No. You are not the only one who talks to themselves. I talk and answer myself all day long everyday. I even have conversations with my dog sometimes. Call me crazy, but that's just me. Worse yet, I talk to the voices I hear too. The p/doc may be putting me on Clozapine for all this and also the visual hallucinations too. The only issues is that I have to take blood tests every week for the first six months. Hope it works.

10/23/2012 04:45 AM
IDoNotKnow
IDoNotKnow  
VIP Member

Yes. I do talk to myself especcially in an elevated state. I don't think this is abnornal. Many people talk to themselves. At least I think they do. I talk to myself when driving or when planing lessons, etcetera, sometimes while talking to a friend. Something I do is talk to the voices that I hear however I am encouraged NOT to. If they are talking to me why not talk back?

10/23/2012 04:52 AM
Boidhre
Boidhre  

Yeah I talk to myself a lot. Mostly in my head or under my breath. It gets worse when high.

10/23/2012 05:39 AM
K1ngMurdoc
K1ngMurdoc  

I tend to mutter to myself when I'm angry or excited, or talk to the air as if my parents were listening when I'm depressed.

10/23/2012 05:45 AM
manicmetoo
manicmetoo  

I talk my way through any tasks I my be doing. My most asked question to myself and others is "ok, what am I doing?" sometimes somebody knows...lol

My husband says I talk to myself all day long, and I have conversations with the dog all day as well. My poor pug is asked this question the most "ok, what am I doing?" he never tells me... but is quite supportive as I try to figure it out myself.

10/23/2012 06:17 AM
WhoWhereWhy
WhoWhereWhy  

I talk to myself a lot when I'm thinking. Sometimes I go into a fantasy world and imagine being a success in my field and imagine conversations I'd have. I talk with my girlfriend's dog about her A LOT. Lol.

10/23/2012 06:26 AM
soy70
soy70  

I'll often replay arguments in my head but blurting out responses I can only come up with later, yea in public.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved