MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
10/06/2012 03:04 PM

lithium orotate and sleep

bvassallo

Hi,

My name is bernie and I am new to this site. I am 47 and was diagnosed as bipolar just this last june.

I wanted to see if I could get some help with two things.

1. what do you take for those nights with zero sleep.

2. I just started taking lithium orotate today, has or does anyone out there take it and if so

what do you think?

Kind regards and thanks for any consideration

10/06/2012 03:09 PM
liamacker
liamacker  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

To sleep i take 4mg valium (im currently on a reduction program to get off benzos) and 25mg phenergan which is a sedating antihistamine, which to be honest isn't cutting it for me right now. I think I'll soon be asking to go back on to ambien.

I have been on lithium i was on Priadel. It worked really well for me once i reached therapeutic levels but my pdoc took me off it due to personal reasons and replaced it with lamictal.

Post edited by: liamacker, at: 10/06/2012 03:09 PM

10/06/2012 03:10 PM
bvassallo

thanks for the info!!

10/06/2012 03:45 PM
liamacker
liamacker  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

In reply to your last post. For racing thoughts i was prescribed an antipsychotic and a mood stabiliser. How long have you been on lithium?

10/06/2012 04:00 PM
bvassallo

i have been on lithium carbonate for about 3 months and have had nothing

but one side effect after another...thats why im switching to the lithium orotate.

thanks!

10/06/2012 04:01 PM
liamacker
liamacker  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Oh okay. Well i hope the switch works out for you! I had trouble with side effects of lithium carbonate (Priadel) at first but fortunately for me they went away after a couple of weeks.

10/06/2012 04:45 PM
liamacker
liamacker  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

I didn't realise lithium orotate was a mineral. It has controversially been promoted as an alternative to lithium carbonate. I wouldn't make any changes without speaking to your Pdoc! This could be dangerous. Especially if you are stopping lithium cold turkey.

10/06/2012 04:48 PM
bvassallo

Hi...we did speak with the doc and he is ok with it. he has me switching between the two over a six day period.

thanks again!!

10/06/2012 04:51 PM
liamacker
liamacker  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Oh well if you have spoken to a pdoc then that's fine and I wish you all the best. Hopefully it will help you.

10/06/2012 05:26 PM
uncertainone

Hi Bernie,

Welcome to the group. I've tried lithium, but not lithium orotate. I gave up on psych meds as they really didn't help me. Too many side effects. I'm interested in how it goes with the lithium as a vitamin. What kind of a dose are you taking? Will you still have to have your blood levels monitored? I know that lithium is in the water everyone drinks at certain levels and that where it is on the high end, the rates of suicide are lower in the population. I'm not really symptomatic right now, but I like to learn what works for people so that in case the symptoms come back I know what might work.

Also you asked what to do about when you can't sleep. If I can't sleep, I take 1-2 benadryl. If still not asleep after an hour, I'll take a third. It sometimes leaves a slight hangover feeling the next morning for an hour or so.

I've been reading a lot about sleep and the clock gene and its effect on people with bipolar disorder. Maybe I will post more later on it, but the number one thing that you really need to do is get enough sleep every night. 6-8 hours a night. Too much sleep is not good and too little is really not good!!! Good luck, Maria

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved