MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/17/2012 08:30 AM

Just trying to keep my head above water!!!!

tjoyner22
tjoyner22  

Well this is my first time on a forum like this, but I desperately need to connect with others that may be in the same situation that I am!!!

I have been married to my husband for 7 years and he has been diagnosed with bipolar1 for almost 2 years now. When he was diagnosed everything seemed to make so much sense. All of the weird behavior from before would hopefully soon come to and end now that he was on medicine.

My husband has been on many different medicines over the past two years and I thought that lithium was working great!!!! He has gained weight and wanted to stop taking the lithium. I suggested getting a different medicine from his doctor first instead of not taking anything. Well that didn't happen. he stopped taking the lithium and things aren't going so well.

I feel so overwhelmed all of the time!!! I work full-time and have 3 small kids. It is very difficult to stay on top of things all of the top just with those and then adding all the extra stresses from his bipolar.

Things were pretty good when he was on the medicine. I don't feel like I have any help with anything around the house or with the kids and I am afraid to ask him to help because I am worried that I am going to stress him out too much or cause an episode. I also worry so much about money and sex. He wants to have sex sooo much when he is in an episode and it stresses me out so much that I find myself just not wanting to be around him.

Last little vent, I worry so much about money. When he isn't feeling well he will go out and spend so much money and doesn't even see anything wrong with it. Then when I confront him he makes excuses and will even tell me that I spend too much money. I am in control of all of the money and have even taken our checking about card before just to be safe, but I hate doing it.

Lastly, I grow very tired of reassuring him all of the time that he is bipolar and Yes he needs to take the medicine to feel better.

I would like to talk to some other women and see how they feel and approach these types of situations with their loved ones!!! I feel like I need more of a support around me. I want to help my husband and for all of us as a family to grow and be OK, but sometimes it feels like I am being crushed by everything around me.

I guess I should be grateful that he isn't doing to bad ,that he has to go into the hospital again.

Thank you for letting me vent and I appreciate on comments or opinions on my post. I look forward to communicating with everyone on this forum. Thanks!!!!Smile

05/17/2012 08:51 AM
WARHORSE
WARHORSE  
VIP Member

05/17/2012 09:46 AM
tjoyner22
tjoyner22  

Thanks!!! By the way I like your Tom Petty song on the bottom!!

05/17/2012 09:59 AM
WARHORSE
WARHORSE  
VIP Member

Tjoyner: I've been stood up against the gates of Hell before.... 25 years worth....

When you read the 'Rules', be sure to fast forward to Page 21. Great comments by a person with BP about the 'Rules'.

05/18/2012 10:38 AM
Silverlock
Silverlock  
Group Leader

Tjoyner, there can be no quarter given when it comes to the meds. There are lots of combinations available, and it may take a bit to find the right combination, but that is what they have to work towards.

My wife messed with her meds and complained that she felt like a zombie. Mind you she did not act like a zombie. I did not know how bad things could get. I was mostly worried about her depressions, I had seen what I thought was mania, but it was only hypomania. She stopped taking meds and did not tell me till she had been off them for 4 weeks. She started drinking heavily to "Self Medicate", then started sleeping with a guy she picked up in a bar while I was out of state working. That was two months ago and she is still manic. I have had to file for divorce because she refused to stop seeing the guy and was telling me she had been unhappy in the marriage for a long time, she just never mentioned it.

They have to want to work towards being stable. If they dont actually do the work, then they will just keep hurting those around them.

05/18/2012 01:07 PM
livinginablender
livinginablender  
Group Leader

TJ

Welcome to the group nobody joins on purpose .

We hear you loud and clear.

xo

05/18/2012 01:16 PM
mem2514

Another welcome to TJ.....this is the site where you will learn more about what is like to be living with bpso than anything the psychiatrist was willing to or able to tell you!!

This is our real world!!

Best

sadsad

05/18/2012 09:09 PM
ShyAnneB
ShyAnneB  

Welcome welcome. Everyone here understands! I have really found the posts to be a life saver. I don't feel alone anymore, hope you don't either! You sound like you are making good steps. Keep posting Smile

05/21/2012 08:06 AM
tjoyner22
tjoyner22  

Thank you everyone!! I am really happy to find others that understand!!! I was so happy to post what was going on with me and my husband!!!

I came home yesterday and my husband confronted me that he read my post. He said he was very angry at some of the things that I wrote. I am still very upset that he went and read my discussion.

Any thoughts.

05/21/2012 08:27 AM
WARHORSE
WARHORSE  
VIP Member

Tjoyner: Yes.... Log out when you're finished and don't give him the password.... Set your browsing history to clear every day. If mine ever read my posts, I'd probably have to kill him. How did he know it was you?

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved