MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/07/2012 09:38 PM

Husband has bipolar and EDS

ZaysMommy

What a combination this is. We haven't had genetic testing for the EDS yet but our family doc is pretty darn sure that's what it is. He has been unemployed for a year now due to being fired while sick (related to the EDS). We have been married 10 years now. Its kinda been one thing after another the whole time. 6 mo. in he started drinking. Did that quite heavily off and on for about 6 yrs. Once got bipolar diagnosis and on lithium has no longer been a problem. He ended up having to have a nissen surgery b/c of the drinking. It was done wrong had to have it done again.

Anyway kind of babbling with the back story. Lately I'm just exhausted. We have two boys now and he watches them while I work but that's all he does. And here lately I hardly ever see him he's sleeping all the time. I don't think I've ever been so depressed as I am now. I just randomly cry all the time. In the past I've been able to be so strong. Guess I'm just sick of it. Some things I know he can't help but in some ways I think he is just lazy on top of it all. No amount of pleading with him has helped to get him to contribute more. And I don't ask much load and unload dishwasher and vacuum. For a while he just slept and got on FB all the time. Now we are back to the TV. He has our boys on a crazy night schedule.

I'm thinking about seeking family/couple therapy before I lose my freaking mind. Also think he needs to go to a psych doc again instead of just fam doc. Any thoughts??

05/08/2012 06:29 AM
chelle005
chelle005Posts: 2462
Group Leader

Definatly a pdoc. it is their specialty. take time and get some therapy for yourself alone. It will help a lot.

05/08/2012 06:42 AM
hythloday
hythloday  

Sorry you're going through all this. I'm not sure what EDS is--googled it, but looks like several possibilities--if it's the connective tissue thing, there's a possibility your doctor could be wrong: my bp wife's doctor acted 100% sure that she had lupus--nope. Depression has a way of mimicking such things.

Do see a therapist for both of you. He should have been doing that all along. My sense is that meds. are only the first step toward stability with bipolar (my wife's not even there, so at least he's accepting lithium, etc.). Moreover, you should get him the psychiatrist--sounds like he's depressed (not without reason: major surgery, possibly a major disease, stress, unemployment--these are all things anyone could get depressed about, but it also sounds like depression is the cause rather than the effect of these problems.

Good luck with this, and keep posting.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved