MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
02/16/2012 06:26 PM

quick question

cetacean
cetacean  

I have a question and it may sound kind of dumb. My best friend is manic and has been for months I did the full cycle of emotions more then once. Then I started doing my research about bi polar and boy did I dive into it, the knowledge brought understanding and I started reading more just to make myself feel better about the whole thing. Thats why my question may sound dumb Ive read to much for it to sound smart Smile Im a c.n.a at a local convalescent hospital and I deal with lots of dementia and Alzheimers we have a couple of schizophrenics and one that is also bi polar as well. ok with that in mind we are taught to interact with them in their reality and not try to bring them to ours it only causes stress on everyone, now bi polars are clearly not demented at least not in the same way and they are not suffering with a memory illness. But when your bi polar loved one is manic should you do just that live in their reality? I wish we were better trained in this aspect especially since we are to care for people with such illness's we are trained in geriatrics and the illness's that come with old age. If I try this with my friend will it be met with a poor reaction ( shes an rn in the same facility who is also trained to do that) or would it make interaction a bit easier and maybe not so disturbing on both sides. I would love to hear your thoughts and suggestions

02/16/2012 09:24 PM
livinginablender
livinginablender  
Group Leader

i was trained to mirror them

that is the therapeutic response.

you are referring to a friendship.

not a professional relationship.

different dynamic.

02/17/2012 09:06 AM
cetacean
cetacean  

I know its different, my best friend and I work at the same facility she is an R.N and Im a C.N.A I guess it would have to be both she is my best friend I love her dearly and have a bunch of respect for her but in that building she is my boss. we have managed to maintain a working relationship but our friendship is taking a battering. I just wonder if I respond to her in this form while she is manic with our shared training will it be helpful or insulting. Because of this training Ive learned to think or try to on their terms and let them have what they want with in certain boundries Ive also learned to detach a little emotionally when the interaction maybe difficult. Im trying to find away to ease the manic path alittle for both of us. I hope this makes sense

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved