MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/13/2012 08:58 AM

This relationship will self-destruct in...(page 2)

Catbaloo
CatbalooPosts: 6828
Group Leader

Periodically wanting to go off our meds just seems to be part of bipolar disorder. I don't know if it's because we feel better on the meds so we think we don't need them anymore or just because our illness tells us to go off them. Some people go off because they miss their mania.

I have a deal with my husband that I'll tell him if I ever want to go off my meds so that he and my pdoc can stop me from doing it. I can't imagine wanting to go off of them, but from my reading I know that it is likely that at some point I will. Ugh.

Your wife has to accept that she needs to take her medicines every day. But how do you get her to accept that fact? My advice is to make it a condition of getting back together, which she will no doubt want to do in the near future. If I were you, I wouldn't move home until she was back on her medication. I'd make her sign a contract agreeing to stay on her meds, too.

Just my opinion.

01/14/2012 05:49 AM
johnmccpart

I also think that going off the meds is just part of the condition, and heard various reasons, some of them very valid, the side effects can be alot, including weight gain, liver damage, feeling like they are on a fog, feeling like they are not working, etc.

Stay out of the house until she she's she needs help. This will help you stay clear of the chaos and take care of yourself, and with any luck, theres a chance that she maybe begins to see that she does need to take a more active role in her own care.

01/17/2012 03:39 PM
Stepney
StepneyPosts: 33

Wise words... thank you all.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 2 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved