MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/11/2012 12:59 PM

What are the major signs of bipolar in a man

Girafe74

I am new here and I think my boyfriend of almost 2 years has bipolar..Can you please tell me what the signs are and what you are going through with your man

01/11/2012 01:02 PM
Girafe74

Hello I am new on here and I think my boyfriend of almost 2 years might have bipolar..What are the sings of your man treating you. I dont know if it because he is so stubborn and hates change. My last husband was bipolar, ADHD, alchoholic and drug addicted. He and my new boyfriend has some similarites but my new boyfriend isnt abusive, nor an addict. He is a workalholic and is emotional abusive towards me...Please help I need some answers

01/11/2012 03:03 PM
taylynn
taylynn  

I don't have answers..I do a few suggestions..I have no idea if he is bipolar because your post is fairly limited..but I read your other one about his kids, ex, etc...

he doesn't sound like he has a bit of respect for you. What can you do? Leave..why stay with someone who treats you like this? allows his teens to treat you like this..I know you said he pays the bills, etc. that you are stuck..do you have any family you can stay with while you get on your feet? See if you can find a job and apply for housing assistance that will base your rent on your income? anyway, I'm sorry you are going through this and welcome!

01/11/2012 03:04 PM
Gypsymermaid
Gypsymermaid  

Girafe74, There are different degrees of bi polar. But a cycle exists of High's and low's. Hyper manic then depression, then maybe a period of stability.

Symptoms include irritability, lack of sleep, sleeep to much during depression, hypersexuality, spending sprees or a compulsive behavior, binge eating (especially sweets or carbohydrates is commom)

01/11/2012 04:20 PM
sososad51
sososad51Posts: 2438
VIP Member

Girafe, this is a good website...

http://www.lifeloveandbipolar.com/

01/11/2012 06:19 PM
kneecie
kneecie  

Gypsy, this is my bipolar man:

Symptoms include irritability, lack of sleep, sleep to much during depression, hypersexuality, spending sprees or a compulsive behavior, binge eating (especially sweets or carbohydrates is common) to a T!! WELL MAYBE NOT THE SLEEPING TOO MUCH!! he just seems to always be in a MANIC stage.. is that even possible?? well than again he isn't medicated either..

01/12/2012 04:14 AM
taylynn
taylynn  

my ex sounds like yours kneecie..he did go thru stages of sleeping too much, but definitely more of the NOT sleeping enough! drove me crazy!!

01/12/2012 09:25 AM
Catbaloo
CatbalooPosts: 6921
Group Leader

Most bipolar people sleep a lot when they are depressed, but I couldn''t sleep when I was depressed or hypomanic. Maybe your exes are like me, kneecie and taylynn. I had all the other symptoms, too.

Thank God and big pharma for bipolar medications! Now, if we could just get everyone who has bipolar disorder to take them Smile

They aren't a cure all, but they sure do make a difference.

Post edited by: Catbaloo, at: 01/12/2012 09:26 AM

01/12/2012 10:15 AM
kneecie
kneecie  

Catbaloo, I am so happy to hear that!! I swear he never sleeps for days at a time. he might sleep one whole day but that's' because he is wiped out from not sleeping for a good month… he would be lucky if he gets a full two hours in some days.. I'm like wth.. he is just on the go go go, I can tell he gets depressed at times but nothing that would hold him back or just want to sleep!! His mind is always racing… No one can understand it or really put it together unless you're living with them day in and day out… because this last year REALLY opened my eyes and the cycles he goes through… You really need to deal with him on day to day bases to understand that he is really bipolar!! I paid attention and stood aside and did my home work and I realize that I am still learning his behavior…

I was starting to think something else must be wrong with him as well since he never seems to get really depressed and wants to sleep all the time… Its going on two years for me and I'm still learning…

Post edited by: kneecie, at: 01/12/2012 10:19 AM

01/12/2012 10:39 AM
rainflower

OMG! Mine NEVER slept! And when he did sleep, he always woke up in a nasty ass mood and accused everyone of waking him up! The only way that seemed to help mornings is if he ate something or drank some milk before bed. The next day he would wake up without being angry or paranoid. Go figure. If he did not sleep much and did not eat before going to bed .... run like hell, he was going to have a psychotic episode. If there was any major stressor that day, like an exam... Might as well just pack his bags for him because he's going to leave since he's so paranoid and delusional. He also has an addictive personality. I am sure his addiction to the internet did not help with the sleeping. And this is a man who thinks he will last through boot camp!

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved