MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/30/2011 09:01 PM

Hypomanic to depressed... no time for me..

ssavings

He has a pdoc appt next week and I'll bring it up then, but it seems like he's running from hypomanic to depressed on a biweekly or so basis? He's not been really manic since starting the BP meds and coming off the anti-Ds, but there is still decided hypomania and depression. The depression isn't nearly as bad - he's able to get out of bed and function somewhat, but it's still there.

But, the grumpy, irritable side of me feels like when he's ranging from hypomanic to depressed so fast, there's just no time for me or us. He's either too miserable/tired/lethargic/depressed to interact, or he's hypomanic and is off following a trail of ideas in his brain.

***grumpy****Angry

05/30/2011 11:10 PM
WARHORSE
WARHORSE  
VIP Member

Savings: It can take a LONG time to get them stabilized. And even then, it's not the end of the Yellow Brick Road....

Mine used to cycle within a matter of HOURS, not days....

05/31/2011 02:31 AM
EasyDoesItNow
EasyDoesItNow  

'Mine used to cycle within a matter of HOURS, not days....'

Hmmm...my XSO is definitely from that mould

05/31/2011 04:58 AM
ssavings

Everything I've read says it's supposed to be, like, months to cycle?? I'm so confused - I hate not knowing who's going to be walking in the door at night! Drives me batty!

05/31/2011 06:17 AM
taylynn
taylynn  

mine went back in forth in days, not hours...usually they would last for weeks at at time, but sometimes only days.

05/31/2011 07:25 AM
behindthemask

J is rapid cycling too - days or hours... too many triggers...

05/31/2011 08:17 AM
Catbaloo
CatbalooPosts: 6829
Group Leader

Poor savings. It must be difficult to be caught between two extreme moods with no period of "normal" mood in between. I don't blame you for being grumpy. It's frustrating!

I visited my parents last week and realized that my father has BP and that he is an ultra ultra rapid cycler. He can be in a great mood, turn angry and then go right back to a good mood or into a down mood in minutes. I guess that's why none of us ever caught on that he was bipolar. I can shift rapidly, too, but I also have long term moods. My dad goes straight from one mood to another. Fascinating, in a way. Frustrating as well because it's hard to tell what triggers his moods.

I think moods that cycle within one day are called ultradian? I don't think there's even a word for moods that only last a few minutes.

05/31/2011 08:45 AM
behindthemask

Is it part of the illness to get stuck on something too, or is that more OCD? J will get irritable about something and go on for hours about it... after saying it once or twice, I think it should be dropped and move on? Maybe that's another side of his BP.

05/31/2011 08:59 AM
michellefaith
michellefaith  

Ugh what a nightmare for you! I'm sorry. Try to hold on to the hope he IS taking meds!! Find your own Joy now and don't hold on to his crap...don't own it hun.

Keep that life vest on and hold on tight...you'll hit dry land soon.

05/31/2011 12:53 PM
livinginablender
livinginablender  
Group Leader

Mine would cycle mid sentence.

It was like a switch flipped suddenly.

Rapid cycling.

it looked like this :

http://www.atom.com/fun_games/frog_bender2000/

and he was the one of pushing the buttons.

Post edited by: livinginablender, at: 05/31/2011 12:58 PM

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved