MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
10/23/2010 08:52 AM

How do you know if someone is bipolar?

PapaPequeno
PapaPequeno  

My girlfriend Mayma was raped last december and since then she has diagnosed w/ ptsd depression and anxiety she goes through these lil cycles that can be in a week or spread out for 2 months first she ok and happy then she gets a nightmare and gets depressed then she gets mad and mean

I don't know much about bi-polar but does this sound like it?

10/23/2010 09:00 AM
wifeonbpexpress
wifeonbpexpress  
VIP Member

It's hard to say, only a dr. can diagnose it. I don't know much about ptsd, but I'm sure it can look like bipolar, the way you are describing it.

10/23/2010 01:41 PM
Spouseofbipolar

Many mental illnesses have similar symptoms, so it is hard to tell. If she is not resistant to going to a psychatrist, then I'd say get her to one right away. The sooner you nip this in the bud the better. Being that she had such a horrible experience, it is possible that it is the ptsd. Did she ever exhibit these signs before she was attacked? Only a doctor can get you on the right track. They will know what questions to ask in order to get to the bottom of it.

Good luck with it, and keep us posted.

Post edited by: Spouseofbipolar, at: 10/23/2010 05:59 PM

10/23/2010 02:43 PM
lovelaura
lovelauraPosts: 256

I agree with spouseofbipolar.

10/23/2010 04:11 PM
livinginablender
livinginablender  
Group Leader

Sounds like PTSD to me.

10/23/2010 06:48 PM
lollipop
lollipop  
VIP Member

You can google Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and read about it. It does sound like she is having those sorts of problems, if it just started after the rape. Bipolar illness is caused from chemical imbalances in the brain and they can only be truly controlled with medication and therapy and stuff. I know another person who has PTSD and they told me that they actually are "re-living" the events that hurts them so much physically and emotionally. That is why it is so difficult for them to get over it. She probably needs to go talk to somebody like a counselor or somebody. I'm sure she doesn't want to be "mad or mean" but she doesn't know what to do with all those strong emotions she is feeling. That doesn't make it any easier on you, I know. But if you can understand the "why" as to what she is doing, maybe you won't personalize it quite as much. I am not a pdoc or therapist, but that is just what my friend told me about PTSD. Take care and God bless.

Post edited by: lollipop, at: 10/23/2010 06:50 PM

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved