MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
08/24/2010 05:16 PM

History of childhood abuse

Rollercoaster2969

Do you think bipolar patients are almost always from broken/abusive homes? Our counselor said certain people are born with the genetic tendency to be bipolar but with a loving environment, it may never come to fruition. Just curious what you all think....

08/24/2010 05:40 PM
stolenheart
stolenheart  

That's what Jack says of himself. There is some evidence that there is a trigger for other brain disorders, that seem to require a "priming the pump" thing. Once the pump is primed, it's much easier for the brain to continue responding in a disorderly way. Abuse might be a trigger...

08/24/2010 06:00 PM
MetalChick

My fiancee's father died at the age of 23 from a heart attack. My fiancee was onlly 2 years old. So his mother was only 23 and became a widow. Of course she did everything she could to give him whatever he wanted (IMO sometimes she gave him too much so he was spoiled). I have known a lot of people from "broken homes" or suffered from some form of abuse. It's either you take it and it makes you a better person or it eats you alive basically. In his case, his BP didn't "come alive" until he was in the Army. At that time he went from living w/ his mom who did everything to please him to being yelled at daily. So yea, as far as BP goes, I don't know one person who isn't from a "broken home" and is BP.

08/24/2010 06:24 PM
stolenheart
stolenheart  

I know someone who is not from a broken home and has BP. I confess that I don't know enough of her history, though, to know whether or not she was abused...

08/24/2010 07:38 PM
Mary2009
Mary2009  

I do think that there are triggers for those with the genetic component. I don't know if it's some, most or a few. Look at all of us with narcissistic in laws. I don't believe that's a coincidence.

08/24/2010 08:08 PM
Imnoangel
Imnoangel  

My MIL is a classic narcissist. FIL (passed away 10+ years ago) was obviously (now that we know more about bp it's obvious, he was never diagnosed) bp and was a raging alcoholic who was physically abusive to hubby. MIL stood by and did nothing. Also, hubby was sexually abused when he was a child. MIL didn't believe it happened. He has only told me and 1 other person and that other person is deceased.

I think it is very possible for there to be abuses (especially childhood abuse) that is never brought up whether it is out of shame or whatever the case.

I also think not every bp case has underlying abuse.

With that being said, I do think it's possible for something to trigger the bp to come to fruition. Whether it's a death or an abuse or some other of lifes difficult experiences, I do believe that. Although, I don't believe it to be true 100% of the time.

08/24/2010 10:01 PM
marriedtoit
marriedtoit  
VIP Member

I think it is likely that childhood abuse means that a person whose bipolar might otherwise remain dormant (or in the "Crazy Uncle Pete!" category) becomes psychotic. I think enough studies suggest a link between childhood trauma or neglect and a full-fledged manic episode that I am convinced there is a link. I also think that there are probably some people who could have a perfect upbringing and would still be bipolar. Maybe I just think that hypothetically? I have never met (or met in cyberspace) anyone whose bipolar was accompanied with an ideal childhood. Sad

08/24/2010 10:47 PM
frazzled

That is a good question. I've heard has alot to do with genetics, and I think environment... i.e., like how your childhood was. That is why alot of bipolars have PTSD too, from troubled childhoods.

08/25/2010 05:16 AM
stolenheart
stolenheart  

Just a quick note before we do the school run...

I was abused as a child...in just about every version of abuse. My ex was also abusive. I've been depressed (currently dx'd with major depression) and experienced panic attacks. I'm a little touch what some might say OCD. I suspect PTSD, considering some preventive responses I've had to threats of danger.

My dad was dx'd with BPD, but remains untreated. He rejects the dx, but if it's true, there's a case for genetic predisposition.

I have asked my shrink, but am not dx'd with BPD.

Makes you wonder: what gives? lol. I'm not fishing for the dx. I'm functional, generally don't make life-altering snap decisions, etc. My angry responses seem to be in the realm of normal.

*shrug*

Just some thoughts...

08/25/2010 08:32 AM
sallyo
sallyoPosts: 3682

There is still so much that isn't known about mental health issues, and there needs to be more research done before we'll really know all the answers. I do think, however, that there can be a genetic tendency. Years ago, before he was diagnosed, I did some family history research on my husband's side to try to figure him out. I strongly suspect his great-grandfather had it based on his irrational behavior and what his daughter said about him (she remembered him as overly happy, then suddenly mad). Hubby came from a stable home and had a decent childhood but felt a bit neglected at times. He says his bp started kicking in during late high school years and was made worse several years later when his best friend and brother were killed in an airplane accident.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved