MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
07/12/2010 10:05 PM

this heat is getting to him (and me, too)

marriedtoit
marriedtoit  
VIP Member

First, I feel like I owe an apology to anyone on here in crisis. I am not in crisis now. I have been and understand what that is like. So stop reading if you are in crisis, or you will want to claw my eyeballs out for starting a thread about this.

Second, some context: I live in the Boston area, and there is only Central Air (CA) in rare places--usually larger workplaces and institutions like hospitals and banks. My workplace is (THANK YOU GOD) CA. But at home, rely on window units. There are no window units in the bathroom, kitchen, or living room (where we eat and watch a movie together at night).

But I want to break some dishes!!!! (One of my ways of dealing with this disorder.) Pinch

Here is what I dealt with tonight alone. First, I was informed that ALL of the window treatments in the house need to be IMMEDIATELY CHANGED. He wants them "just so" and they are not. Sigh. Needless to say, I was told that I need to make this a PRIORITY. I have gum surgery, car going into shop for repairs (got rearended by A Boston A^^hole Driver again--I swear, they think tailgating is a safe driving practice! Have to write about 30 pages before Friday. And my work screwed up my pay again. I have to go over to the HR folks (this will be an at least three hour ordeal) to straighten it out. Can you guess why I love Dilbert? Second, I made one of his favorites tonight--pasta with white clam sauce. I use my herb garden to reduce a broth...very yummy. But here is the thing: I picked up some fresh cherrystone clams to adorn the top of our pastas. He LOVES cherrystones. Tonight, I was completely frazzled, and he nonchalantly says, as he sat down to dinner, seeing my fresh steamed cherrystones: "You seem to be under a misapprehension." (Yes, we are both writers of sorts and this is how my hubby talks. Not saying it doesn't irritate on occasion.) "I like raw cherrystones, but any cooked clam must be diced or very small for me to like it." Yep. I just feel like a balloon that has been shot with a dart at that. 3) He told me, sharply, "You know that you have been quite irritable lately." Actually, no. That is YOU, honey. But nice try. And 4) He came up with YET ANOTHER COCKAMAMEY (I HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO SPELL THISSmile) PLAN to ensure the squirrels don't get to my birdfeeder. We already have many outdoor projects of his that work half right, or present a terrible blight to neighbors. And can I ever begin to enumerate all his promised repairs, paintings, projects that NEVER get done?

I know, I know, and I have said it here many times: during weather stress, his NUMBER ONE JOB is to stay level. And he is doing that. But I need a break! I need him to CONSIDER MY STRESSES in the heat. Consider that I lose about 11 hours a week to a commute because if I worked in our home too, it would make hubby more constricted. (One example will suffice: If I have to hear one of the thirty songs he listens to while writing again, I will throw myself off a mountain. He tries to tap dance to "Putting on the Ritz" (from Young Frankenstein) every time. Have gotten woken up three hours before my alarm by it MANY times. And by him singing aloud with Billy Joel or Jimmy Buffett at 5 am. I just could not work with that as an environment. Give me backstabbing and gossiping colleagues any day....

07/13/2010 12:14 AM
livinginablender
livinginablender  
Group Leader

Married2it....ROFLMAO. "Putting on the Ritz "

07/13/2010 09:12 AM
damselndistress
damselndistressPosts: 16985
VIP Member

Can I be stupid and ask why can't you get central air?

When we first moved in here we didn't have it either but can't you purchase a home size central air unit?

They really aren't that expensive when you consider the years of use you get out of it.

And they make different types depending on what type of heat you have.

We live in what is considered the country and there are no natural gas lines, sewer lines, water lines out to us yet...I think that in the past few years they have run those lines up to where the river starts and stopped there. I don't know if we will ever get it here???

But we have fuel oil for heat and they were able to tap it right into our fuel oil furnace. So it seems they make different types depending on how you heat.

But I purchased one maybe 5 years ago? And it was probably a couple thousand dollars but well worth it.

There is no reason for you all to be sweating like dogs over there. Cool off!

Is it just a culture thing? Bust out!

And maybe try some ear plugs for that would drive me insane to be woken up to that nonsense.

Damsel

07/13/2010 05:24 PM
Mary2009
Mary2009  

No AC? I would not want to live! I live in Central Florida and run the air problem 10 months out of the year. When my husband was barely working, he used to joke his paycheck paid for the air conditioning since it's what I value most. Of course that was back when he cared about me at all. Sorry to throw that in but I am having a “poor me” day. You have my most sincere sympathy. I will give special thanks for my air tonight.

07/13/2010 08:31 PM
marriedtoit
marriedtoit  
VIP Member

Damsel, a great question. We don't have air ducts. I wasn't aware they made houses without air ducts till I moved to New England. The heat is oil-which warms water and air and is pushed into radiators. Now, you can get central air without air ducts, but it is really expensive. Since I racked up 15 grand in post-cancer treatment dental surgeries, and we had to get a loan for it (at exorbitant rates, since we just refinanced, have no equity, and a hefty credit card debt, central air is not in my future. Sad

Today, one of the shades he hates fell on his head and I had to come home and fix all the shades for him (when he realized we had no room on the Lowe's card to buy new blinds that he wants). Then he complained about the house, so I cleaned it, but told him he needed an ativan or he would be sleeping somewhere else tonight. With him, the ativan stops any nonsense in its tracks. By 8pm, he was tearful about breaking into my workday and not cleaning himself. Apologetic. Now, friends, this doesn't mean his minisode is over yet, but I am praying and hoping. Exhausted here! Mary, sorry you had a sh*tty day. You have my sympathy!

Post edited by: marriedtoit, at: 07/13/2010 10:22 PM

07/13/2010 11:26 PM
alittlestuck

Oh no!!! Unsure

And I just sent a happily ignorant pm to you thinking tra la la things are going well for you......and now I read this Sad

It sounds like you have a lot on your plate right now and I would be so irritated with him right now..........Oh you like your cooked cherrystones cut into itty bitty pieces for you??? How about I serve you up a "kiss my a**" with a side of "like it or else"!! I don't think I've introduced my various recipe ideas on this website yet but my favorites have to be a serving of "oh no you didn't" with a side of "where are you taking me?"..........I've really become quite the cook these days! Laughing

I'm sorry for the crummy hot days your dealing with though along with all the other bs.

Hang in there Smile

07/13/2010 11:56 PM
marriedtoit
marriedtoit  
VIP Member

Littlestuck, you made my day! Love to laugh amidst the tornado (and sometimes hurricane) that is my life some days.

07/14/2010 02:43 PM
sallyo
sallyoPosts: 3690

married: sorry to hear about your rough times, although the thought of "putting on the ritz" made me laugh.

Sounds like you need to take a "mental health day" or at least a few hours to yourself. Here's hoping for some cool days and peaceful times for you soon.

07/14/2010 03:08 PM
sunday321

Look at it this way!!!!!!

Wish it was hot here.......rain, rain and more rain. Tomorrow forecast - yep rain and gales. This is July in the UK. Couple of weeks of heatwave and that was our summer.....I am going rusty!

Oh to be hot......(I would probably moan then too that I am too hot!)

You are lucky though!

07/14/2010 10:18 PM
marriedtoit
marriedtoit  
VIP Member

Sunday, Sunday, Sunday. Hot is good. I love temps in the 80s. But when it gets into the 90s and humidity is high, you DON'T want to be hot then.

But I also don't understand how anyone can live not depressed in places that have constant rain.

After I took a half day off from work (Mind you: husband is on disability and writing, but he works from home...) to rush home to repair a bunch of window treatments so Dear Husband would not have to be affected by them, and cleaned the house that Dear Husband could have cleaned, and Dear Husband seems to be level again, I am unfortunately pissed off at Dear Husband.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved