MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/07/2010 09:41 PM

things that work with my BP partner

marriedtoit
marriedtoit  
VIP Member

I felt the need to start a more positive thread tonight. [Maybe it is just me.] One of the things I have found very helpful when my BP husband is stressed is sitting down. And I ask him to please sit too(sometimes he is too agitated to sit). I keep my voice low, and in a low register (avoiding the high notes, I mean). I do not use big sweeping gestures (which is my norm), and I do not use hyperbole to make my points. When he overstates something I calmly try to deflate it by attacking it sideways, not challenging his statement head-on. I hope tonight is a good night for the members here. Hoping.

05/08/2010 08:35 AM
Imnoangel
Imnoangel  

Hey, Married! Glad to see this positive thread!! I had posted one that my hubby lost his job this past Thursday and I have been waiting for some kind of nuclear bomb to go off or something. But, he has done wonderful. Just a tad down.

He's mowing everyones yards today. Ours sure looks better.

During this time of trauma I just talked to him in a very light and positive way. I brought up all the good things about this.. like how the company was holding him back and weren't paying him enough (true, been thinking this for a long time) and how he would've never quit and would've been stuck, but now is his opportunity to get the job that pays what he deserves and so on and so forth....

I think keeping the situation light and not getting sad or upset myself has really helped. Speaking in easy tones (like you mentioned).... and I tend to speak dramatically and with my hands like you do.. so none of that this weekend. lol

05/10/2010 09:46 PM
stolenheart
stolenheart  

Very nice thread, Married. Thank you both for sharing...

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved