MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
02/07/2010 01:36 PM

anyone have success with ONLY herbal supplements?

breakthecycle
breakthecyclePosts: 165

just wondering if any of you who are bipolar, or have a bipolar family member or significant other can offer some advice on the herbal supplements out there which are supposedly good for bipolar.

i've read a lot about st johns wort, and my primary concern is there are so many different compositions of it. which is most appropriate? what brand seems to work well?

also, omega-3 fish oil... at my last physical, my doctor told me to start taking this, and now i'm reading that it's good for bipolar mood management too? what brand has worked for you?

any others?

my bipolar SO is very reluctant/scared about going on medication. in the event that he refuses or doesn't maintain a medical treatment plan, i'm wondering if herbal supplements could be a plan b?

i understand many people take supplements in addition to medication, so i'm most interested in those who have experience with supplements in lieu of medication.

thanks!

02/07/2010 01:58 PM
WARHORSE
WARHORSE  
VIP Member

Break: Plan B???? Shelve it... I have pounded the drum on this before and will continue to do so... THERE IS NO SUBSITUTE FOR MEDS TO TREAT BP DISORDER... Do other things such as B-12 and fish oil help???? Certainly... But that said, THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE FOR MEDS... He doesn't want to take them???? WHY????? Homeopathic remedies in lieu of meds???? Total nonsense.

02/07/2010 02:04 PM
sc4070

VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

breakthecycle - i too am interested in this. For many years I couldn't get my husband to take meds; I had considered supplements as an attempt to help stabilize enough to get him to consider going to treatment. While views are wide on this - if anyone has been successful or involved in this type of therapy I too would be curious to how they went about it and as to drug interactions if currently taking meds.

I don't know where I personally come out on it but if certain supplements can interfere with the meds or create excessive affects - wouldn't that mean the two are working on the same imbalance meaning there may be something to it?

02/07/2010 02:06 PM
sc4070

VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Warhorse, I don't disagree. But if my hubby can't take AD's and maybe St. John Warts actually can give a little relief I would be interested in knowing how others achieved it, how severe they were, etc...

02/07/2010 02:15 PM
WARHORSE
WARHORSE  
VIP Member

St. Johns Wort may help the depression, but it won't help stabilize the moods.... been there, done that, tried it, and it didn't work. End of story.

02/07/2010 02:17 PM
breakthecycle
breakthecyclePosts: 165

warhorse, i know your views on this and appreciate your stance. i believe in medication, but it is not MY choice. it's his. and i want to have information for all options available. each person is different, each person's severity of bipolar is different, and each person's physiological response to medication is different.

i would still like to learn about anyone who is using just herbal therapy and would hope they feel they can share their experiences without criticism of their choice.

actually, why don't we also open up the floor to anyone who tried only herbal supplements and did NOT have success until they went on prescription medication.

02/07/2010 02:26 PM
WARHORSE
WARHORSE  
VIP Member

Break: Go for it. Find someone who is only taking supplements and is successful and maybe I will become a believer... We tried this when my husband was first diagnosed. He did not become significantly better until he went on real meds...

I realize it's not your choice, but it IS your choice to decide whether to go or to stay. He's not taking meds????? I couldn't get out the door fast enuf.

P.S. You can count my husband the first one who got no significant relief from homeopathic solutions until he took real meds. (Not trying to break your chops honey, just trying to tell the truth from where I stand.) IMO, anyone helped by homeopathic solutions was not really BP in the first place.

02/07/2010 02:37 PM
ohfaithful

Breakthecycle,

I understand your thirst for alternative ways to manage your bipolar disorder. Susan just challenged me to provide some info and I'll do that later this week, probably on Friday! I'm currently detoxing and not on meds and have been med free, other than Klonopin a few times, for two years.

Yes there are alternative methods out there that can help you, certainly herbs, detoxing, various other modalities like vitamin/mineral supplementation (more than just your basic adding of a vitamin or mineral here and there, THERAPEUTIC DOSES) and I've listed a few resources in the Holistic forum.

As you've stated some BRANDS are better than others, I learned that the hard way by thinking fish oil was not working for me but when I ate salmon I experienced IMMEDIATE results then I found Carlson's Fish Oil to be the best with both high levels of EPA and DHA. Twinlab's Norweigian Cod Liver Oil is excellent and I use that more instead of the fish oil because it provides vitamind A and D which most people are deficient in!Since I added the cod liver oil I noticed more stability this winter! However, the one tablespoon can cause mania in some people, so start with one teaspoon until your body adjusts!

The thing is that there are many people who manage without meds but it is a whole body approach. It just isn't about taking a few vitamins and minerals or herbs. You have to balance your whole body with whole foods that are free of the pesticides and hormones adding things slowly, one at a time to see and listen to HOW your body responds. A negative reaction is not always a negative reaction, SOMETIMES IT IS A DETOXING SYMPTOM telling you to go slower!

There are some herb options that Jen listed in the Chronic Fatigue forum for depression and anxiety. Sorry I don't have the link on me but can post it later!

You also have to be tested and find out what vitamins/minerals/metals, etc., may be impacting your health. I'm not here to promote anyone or anything but you can find a naturopath, nutritionist, or a orthomolecular psychiatrist to do that or you can order the testing online. Just make sure that they have worked with others with mental illness patients otherwise you will be their "teaching case!" There are a few resources out there on the net like this one from Dr. Larry Wilson which is a free resource.

http://drlwilson.com//Articles/emotions_and_behavior.htm

He has many other articles on there for natural therapies as well!

Good luck!

Faith

Kissing

02/07/2010 02:42 PM
sc4070

VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

breakthecycle I understand. I was ready to try anything. Just something to hopefully have him settle down. I spoke to a friend who is a nurse and lived through 20 years of meds with her son and herself. Even she had said, obviously meds are better - but don't rule anything out, for trying something is better than not trying.

02/07/2010 02:43 PM
sparks

my partner was wondering if he started smoking cannabis would it lift his mood, he always smoked (not a lot just maybe one or two) for years he used to say it chilled him out after a long day a work. he hasnt touched anything like that since he was admitted to hospital in october. im scared if he ever does he will go manic again. has anybody answers on that one. i would be interested in knowing.

by the way he dosent touch alchohol and hasnt for 10yrs

Post edited by: sparks, at: 02/07/2010 02:53 PM

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved