MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/12/2013 08:55 PM

wife of bipolar husband

kristan1e

Hi. I've never joined a group like this. ThankGod for internet

But I've been married to my husband for 12 years now. I knew he was a mess when I started dating him 14 years ago. I luv him to pieces but as my kids and I r getting older its getting harder to just sit by and watch. He refuses mess bc he was on them when he was younger and he gained weight and it made him a zombie he says. I think he should bc at least he can get some sort of releif. Some is better then none. I've suffered years of name calling. Lots of it. He has gotten much better w that ill say. But he is up and down. No happy medium. It hurts when my soul mate tells me he can say he hasn't felt truly happy in for years. Most of his life. We have four kids and I don't want them to suffer from his manic and deoressice mood swings. I need he'll and advice. He is a really kind hearted person w great intentions. But just like that he can b the coldest rudest irrational person. He takes his next breath and its as if ut never happened. Im trying to do something more then just lalong side of the disease. Im afraid it will only get worse and I want our life to be happy and I want him to be trlu happy. Advice?

01/12/2013 09:57 PM
marriedtoit
marriedtoit  
Group Leader

kristan, in 12 years the meds have much improved. I have never seen my husband like a zombie and he has tried many different bipolar meds. The meds are NOT supposed to make you a zombie--so if he has a good psychiatrist, that won't happen. You could reassure him (after you insist he go back to a psychiatrist and get treated) that if any med makes him like a zombie, you will be 100% behind him getting off of that med.

As for weight gain, there ARE psych meds that cause weight gain. A good pdoc can avoid those or suggest ways to minimize the weight gain.

My advice is to make it a condition of you staying in the marriage that he go back to a psychiatrist.

I will NEVER again live with untreated BP.

01/13/2013 08:15 AM
marriedtoit
marriedtoit  
Group Leader

Chris, we have many bipolar members in this group. Some of them object to being call "a BP." If possible, could you try to say "a person with BP"? Thanks!!!!

01/13/2013 10:25 PM
marriedtoit
marriedtoit  
Group Leader

kristan, what is going on with you now? How are you doing?

03/02/2013 07:34 AM
wifeofBP10

I am in the same situation as you! My husband is also Bipolar, and we have been together for 10 years. He was on medication when we first met, and he was doing great. Then he stopped taking them because we could not afford it, and then he got back on some new medication that zombied him..and he has been off ever since. I completley understnad EVERYTHING that you are going through. It is so hard, and let me tell you. IT takes a strong woman to put up with it. For us we know the man they really are, and it is unfortunate that we have to witness the other side from time to time. I am still educating myself on how to deal with this. It is hard not to take things personal when they are in their manic stage. I have learned to just let them be in their " man cave" and rant and rave..just ignore it. Educate your children as well, and remind them it is not their fault when he is in that stage. I have found turning to people who understand the condition, rather those who have no clue is a lot better for you also.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved