MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
06/24/2009 01:03 AM

Manic Episode Questions For ALL

indice
indicePosts: 234

How long can a mania last, in your experiences? Each time my SO hated me, it was SAD-type summer mania:

2006: (first one) 8 days

2007: 15 days

2008: (intervention & pdoc) 6 days

2009: lasted 27 days++ (Bipolar III also/Abilify)

what is normal for SAD type summer mania? anyone?

Has anyone had antidepressant induced 'med mania' (Bipolar III)? How long did that last?

Everyone crashes, I get that. The overfiring brain finally runs out of juice and crashes into depression. I get that. But what if Bipolar III just keeps going and going?

06/24/2009 07:37 AM
ashcutee

Hi Indice

In my personal experience, a manic episode can last as long as a year if a person is untreated. I also saw small bouts of depression mixed in there, but for the most part, lots of energy, irritation etc etc.

My husband was JUST on antidepressants- I'm sure that led to his full blown suicide episode..EVen after this he still did not comply with new meds and did it all over again.Infact got worse.

During the winter months, every now and then my husband experienced symptoms associated with atypical depression, including increased sleep, increased appetite and carbohydrate craving, weight gain, irritability, interpersonal difficulties and heaviness in the legs and arms.

He is mindful of the seasonal changes now and tries to get yp early so that he doesn't want to feel the need to sleep.

Where do you live? I ask because SAD is most likely to affect people in higher latitudes and coincides with the darkest months of the year, making the seasonal reduction in light the obvious culprit. But how this registers on the brain is still a matter of speculation. One theory is that serotonin levels drop off in winter. Another is that melatonin secretion may be the cause. Yet another theory posits that circadian rhythms are thrown out of whack.

Have you heard about Light therapy? It might help your SO with the SAD. My SO hasn't done it but I have read good things about it.

06/24/2009 07:51 AM
stamperben

The worst winter I ever spent was the one up in northern Idaho. The sun came up late and set very early. I had seen the SAD effect in her many years in the past in the sunny Calif winters. It was never treated back then. Now that we are in south Texas the winters aren't so bad as far as depression. It is the "spring fever" that has reached new highs for her hypomanic episodes. Although that has always affected her in some way throughout the years, really noticing men who notice her...

06/24/2009 08:07 AM
sallyo
sallyoPosts: 3747

I notice that my husband's moods are worse during the gloomy days of winter, and he does have some mania in the summer, but I don't have a clear handle yet on how much the weather affects him. Sometimes on beautiful, bright summer days he says it still feels dark and gloomy to him. He has an especially hard time at sunset for some reason (that's when he's most likely to get the urge to run away, or, as we call it, go wandering). Whatever the cause, it's hard on both of us.

06/24/2009 10:03 AM
indice

If I knew where she was, and I knew she was off the Abilify-as-antidepressant (or just had The Shot), and had a soul again, I would definitely do the SAD lightbox. Thanks for the heads-up on that. BTW, SAD applies to summer mania as well as winter depression. Some books still do not seem to make this clear.

I've a _world_ of information I'm chewing on from translated Norwegian pages. For obvious (1 in 22 kids have BP there) and not obvious (DNA, alleles, markers, correlations) reasons, I'm finding a lot of pertient not-pharmaceutical-origin info. And deducing more, then looking for correlation. I'll certainly post if...

06/24/2009 10:41 AM
danikchicago

I think my SO has SAD Summer Mania right now. His started right when the temps changed late this April and he has been flying high since and it is now going on two months. He seems to crash during the night time hours it seems like though. He called me the other night in the middle of the night after two weeks before asking me to leave him alone and that I make him miserable. I think he was having another mini melt down and now he is back on his run, he has turned his phone off again. So I can say that it seems like it can last for months not days. I keep hoping he will crash soon and we can work things out but I am starting to give up hope. It feels like this is never going to end and I keep wondering how much is really the illness and how much is him. He is horrible right now, a complete monster. Before this started he was the sweetest and most caring guy. I think he gets winter depression too because he was eating a lot and sleeping a lot as well. Now he rarely sleeps or eats and has lost like 20 lbs at least. But his mania is far worst than the depression. I should note he refuses to seek treatment. He keeps getting guilty conscience over all the awful things he is doing but he doesn't want to give up the creative juices that come with this, afraid that it will ruin his art if he takes meds. Good luck!

06/24/2009 03:51 PM
grafxbydiane
grafxbydiane  
VIP Member

danikchicago , the same thing is happening to my bf right now Does not want to use meds to help and prefers to self medicate . I also hear about all the regrets that he has in regards to his daughter . he has not seen her in 11 = years and now she is 22 . I keep telling him it is not too late to get clean so that he can have a relationship with her

06/24/2009 03:58 PM
indice

I am _evangelical_ about Hope. The fact that we're all here means Hope is alive and well and thriving.

06/24/2009 05:16 PM
stamperben

If we didn't have hope we'd be truly lost...

06/24/2009 06:13 PM
grafxbydiane
grafxbydiane  
VIP Member

This is so true

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved