MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/27/2012 11:51 AM

My daughter

carolinecc
carolinecc  

I have posted two discussions here about my newly diagnosed Bipolar 1 rapid cycles , daughter, Amelia who is 13. I am having such a difficult time of coping and accepting this.(her meds effexor, abilify and ramaron) Facing this disorder has made me face the fact that I too have some things emotionally that are similar to her.I beat myself up for not undertsanding until nearly too late and she was psychotic. The final straw was when she took a knife to school thinking someone was after her. I cannot believe I didn't put all of this together. Her dad and I have had troubles for awhile now, and I feel guilty that we added to her stress. I personally think he and I would be better off apart, because as much as I hate to say this she proclaims to hate her dad. She has epxressed this to her therapist and doctor. But noone can get a real srong reason out of her why. He and I see differently when itcomes to kids and raising them. My daughter has been hospitalized for over 3 months now, but is coming home tuesday. I must admit I'm scared to death! She suddenly started hitting the cd player with her hand saying she knew a way to get it unjammed. I told her to stop and she said that I was calling her stupid. I just held my own and she calmred down, but it was shocking because she lashed out at me. She usually doesn't lash out at me so much. She got pretty mad about the whole thing, and then stormed off, but we worked it out. I miss the daughter I know is inside of her. I admit I ma a bit scared of my own child. is that nuts?

I don't know if I can be the strength of this family as the therapist has called me. It is obvious my fdaughter resents her dad and the tension between them is unnerving. If someone can lend advice on this, i'd be appreciative. Thank you for lsitneing. cc

01/27/2012 08:57 PM
marriedtoit
marriedtoit  
Group Leader

carolinecc, Welcome to the group. What you report, being scared of your own child, is not unfamiliar here. Psychotic is SCARY, whoever is the psychotic one.

DId the doctors give your daughter a PRN (an as needed med) that she can take when she is feeling anxious or irritable? (Often Ativan or Zanax or Risperidone...) Make sure she takes the PRN at the start of any mood breakouts.

And please don't be afraid to call 911 if she is a danger to you or others or herself. Stress that she is mentally ill and under psychiatric treatment when you call.

God bless and keep posting. I hope some of our parents will weigh in. (But they might do it on your post in Parents of Bipolar Children. Glad to see you found that group.)

01/27/2012 09:02 PM
carolinecc
carolinecc  

Thank you so much for your encouraging words, CC

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved