MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
10/05/2011 05:06 PM

SAD light

Catbaloo
CatbalooPosts: 6828
VIP Member

My pdoc has recommended that I get a SAD light. I have no idea which are good and which are cons.

Does anyone have any recommendations for me? Do you use one and love it?

10/10/2011 09:55 AM
sallyo
sallyoPosts: 3690

We've been wondering the same thing. Wish I could be of more help.

11/28/2011 05:30 PM
cookieman

I have a SAD light and it works. The one I have I got from- Hughes Lighting Technologies" way back in the mid 80's.

I am a rapid cycler. I cycle on an irregular 11 day cycle. I also go thru two what I call "transitions" one in the spring and the other in the fall. It is said that these periods start because of the less sunshine and more sunshine. (It is when the leaves start to form and in the fall when to fall off.)

My light is 18 inches long, 12 inches high and 4 inches thick. It resembles a flourescent light and is not bright at all. I tried a regular 150 watt so called SAD bulb and it wasn't worth it.

During my transitions I use this light for 2-4 hours every day and it does improve my moods and energy and it lightens the hassle of my moods. My transitions are from 2 weeks to 14 weeks. When they are over 5-6 weeks I use the light as much as possible. And it helps.

Don't know much more about the light but it should produce results. For me it did. I have no idea how much it costs today but I paid $300 but it also is still working some 25 years later.

Cookieman

11/28/2011 09:19 PM
marriedtoit
marriedtoit  
Group Leader

The only cautionary note is that SOME bipolar people (a minority, but it is something to watch for) get tripped into mania with a SAD light. My husband's pdoc decided that my husband is SO regular with his winter depression that the SAD light would be worth the risk. (We are both closely monitoring his moods.) He is to do it 15 minutes a day early in the morning for three weeks, for starters.

11/29/2011 07:04 PM
cookieman

Very interesting. I've never noticed a problem from too much of the light. I used to have it on our ceiling in the bedroom and during bad times I would be under it, or in front of me for three or four hours at a time. And for multiple days in a row.

If the doc said to go easy with it by all means follow his directions. No two Bi-polars are exact so....

Keep track of his moods, knowing that some are going to be "normal" moods. See if you can spot a pattern, hopefully good moods. Some may present themselves quickly and some may be hours or days before they present.

I hope it goes well. Like I said, for me it has been a life saver. Whenever I got really depressed a couple of nights under the light did wonders. I will be interested to see the progress with your husband.

Cookieman

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved