MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
07/05/2010 02:16 PM

Daughter has been put in psychiatric hospital

lynard21
lynard21  

Well, we knew it was probably coming. Our 26 yr old daughter who lives 200 miles away in NYC was severely manic last Friday and on Saturday we found out she was in the hospital. Apparently some neighbors must have called 911, as her behviour was loud and belligerent. My husband and I thought we should immediately make the 5 hour drive down there...but after thinking about it furthur we realized she needs to learn to manage this illness herself. I don't really know if she was taking her meds...she had just started an acting program last Monday and was keyed up and excited about that. Also, an old BF contacted her and came back into her life that Tuesday. My sister who is visiting from CA had dinner with her on Wed. and said she was angry at the world and left in a huff.

I hate this illness so much. She has not accepted that she is bipolar and has not been compliant with her meds regularly in a few months. She did make a contact down on Long Island with a Bipolar clinic and was seeing a psychiatrist there a few times.

I feel like there is nothing more I can do to help her. The hospital where they are keeping her for at least 72 hours will not share any information, even though she signed a release. Of course, with the holiday weekend there are no Drs. there right now.

I just need to know that letting go right now is the right thing to do.Sad

07/05/2010 04:03 PM
scotty04901
scotty04901  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Lynard, as hard as it is, you are doing the right thing. The hardest thing not to do is to enable her. That is what you would have done in my opinion. I'm here for both you and your wife.

07/05/2010 08:20 PM
lynard21
lynard21  

Thanks for the support, Scotty.

07/06/2010 10:38 AM
sallyo
sallyoPosts: 3684

I'm sorry to hear the news, Lynard. I think you're right about not enabling her, even though I'm sure it's heartbreaking. I hope she gets better soon.

07/06/2010 12:33 PM
scotty04901
scotty04901  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Lyn, we are all here for all of you. We are here for her as well...if she ends up wanting us

07/06/2010 02:33 PM
lynard21
lynard21  

Spoke with her today and she is doing much better. She will be discharged by the end of the week....and i didn't even have to go rescue her! Now hopefully she'll keep taking her meds and seeing the Dr.

07/06/2010 02:59 PM
sallyo
sallyoPosts: 3684

Good to hear! I hope this will be what she needs to be stable.

07/07/2010 10:05 AM
Marymom

I know how you feel - helpless, angry, worried...Just remember that she is in a safe place where no harm can come to her. Plus this may be a wake up call that she needs to take her meds or she will end up back in the hospital again. Best Wishes

07/09/2010 11:49 AM
majestic

My 15 year old daughter has been in hospitals and treatment centers for the last month and still has another3 weeks to go.She was not taking her meds and told my husband and I that she had started using Meth! She has now been on her meds and is doing better. I miss her sooo much and cant wait for her to be home.But....the house has been peacefull and I know she is safe under constant professional care. They are starting to think she is borderline...does anyone know much about that?

07/17/2010 05:25 AM
norma
normaPosts: 10109
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Lynard, I have a son who is 28 and was diagnosed at 14. Take comfort in knowing she is getting help. Til she turns that corner and gains insight into her disorder there is little you can do. I know from experience. Just be there for her, love her, and know that she is getting care. It really is up to her to decide if she wants to lead a productive life that addresses her problems. Perhaps she will learn from her experiences in being hospitalized. I know my son is learning. No alcohol. It is one of the keys to staying sane.

Praying and hoping you and your daughter reach a place where life is stable and she finds peace and health.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved