MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
08/20/2008 10:51 AM

bipolar friend

echidna
echidnaPosts: 1

My ex and I broke up a over year ago, and decided to stay friends. He was diagnosed with bipolar shortly after we got together and was put on medication. He was the one to break up with me because he met someone else, I moved on and im in a healthy relationship. Our friendship goes up and down where he wants nothing to do with me and then 2 weeks later calls me everyday. But about 4 months ago he got off his meds and now he will call me crying and telling me he wants to kill himself, and that hes still totally in love with me. Theres absolutly no hope of me being with him i try to nicely say it and he doesnt get it, and im afraid to say i dont love him like that because hes so unstable. He tells me he has to fight killing himself everyday....all he wants to do is die. Whenever i try to tell him to see a doctor or talk to me to try to help him through this he gets defensive and pushes me away. His parents are worried and so am i. This has been going on since he stopped his meds and i just dont know what to do. Part of me just wants to say goodbye so it doesnt turn me into a wreck anymore, but i do care for him. Any advice??

08/20/2008 11:00 AM
diane38
grafxbydiane  
VIP Member

Well surely if he talks about killing himself he needs to be with someone at all times . He may need to be in the hospital to get things straighten out .

08/20/2008 02:08 PM
wannayell

I understand that you care for him...my questions would be do you want to be taken down that path again that you have left and what is this doing to your current relationship?? I ask because I've left my bp bf a bit ago and I have been wondering about this situation becoming friends and having seperate lives but maintaining that friendship....for me I've decided to totally cut ties with him. I've spent the better part of 6yrs. being there for him and taking care of him and making sure he was happy because I'm a care taker by nature.....now it is my turn to take care of myself, it may seem selfish that is the way that I feel. I would love to say I want to be friends with him, given how the break up has gone with the constant messages being left I know that by being friends that would not ever end....even if I were in a relationship with another man.

08/20/2008 03:43 PM
diane38
grafxbydiane  
VIP Member

Hey wannayell I am like you a caretaker by nature and have been my whole life and career as well

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved