MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
02/15/2010 01:50 PM

Managing Mental Illness Without Medication(page 5)

ohfaithful

Hey Warhorse,

Thanks for the information! I went round and round with my doctors on the "standard" dosage Grin. To be honeset with you for many years I was a zombie until I saw my last psychologist who told me this is not "normal!" I had no idea! I have a friend who has an entire history of bipolars, brothers, sisters, father, including herself, but she didn't tell her husband either! So I thoroughly understand that there are individuals out there who are truly bipolar, that said I believe that there are many more that are experiencing "bipolar" type symptoms because of other underlying, treatable, conditions.

I'm in the middle of a food challenge gone wrong, right now you couldn't possibly make my daughter or my exhusband or my mother believe that bipolars aren't made!

Love yah anyway!

Faith

Kissing

--- The discussion has been locked ---

02/15/2010 02:09 PM
WARHORSE
WARHORSE  
VIP Member

Faith: Thanks, I'm glad I didn't unduly piss you off (although as you said, I am passionate about this), even if we can agree to disagree.... One of the things I have seen over and over is that so many people are over-medicated that they give up in despair... That's why I think the pediatric docs are a Godsend...

The other thing we did for my husband was finally take him to a psychopharmacologist (cost a frigging fortune). We knew the meds were close but not quite right, and this guy gave them the final 'tweak' that was needed. My husband is now the person I once knew w/o the mood swings.

02/15/2010 03:19 PM
sc4070

VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

While it is a catch 22; my hubby has no clue what he is on or why. I mean he understands it is for bipolar, but couldn't tell you what or how it works, or why it is needed. In a way it is a blessing, for when he shows side effects I know they are real. If he doesn't improve or seems off kilter I know it isn't for show. It really helps me know what is working and what isn't. Like right now, we have given him an ever so slight stimulant until we do the sleep study. He is still sleeping all day, every day. Obviously the med ain't cuttin' it!

02/15/2010 03:39 PM
WARHORSE
WARHORSE  
VIP Member

To all: It took me many, many years to get to this point, but I have finally told bubby that he is responsible for knowing what he is taking, why, and refilling his own scripts. It was part of the 'letting go' process and so far it is working. We also use the seven-day med pill boxes, and so it is really easy for me to tell if he's taken his meds or not. Highly recommend them.

02/15/2010 06:35 PM
sc4070

VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Warhorse, I don't disagree. However, mine is truly limited in literacy. He was raised in the deep south, when kids were pulled out of school to bring in crops and grades didn't matter - as they were to work the farms. It is sad but true. I went to school down there one year when in 10th grade. I lost an entire year of school, as they were teaching what I had learned in 6th and 7th grade in Chicago. My hubby has to depend on me to understand what he is taking and why. That part will not change, and isn't due to BP - it is do to a society that didn't believe is providing the highest education standards they could.

However, I also know if my hubby thought a drug could cause jumpy leg syndrome, then he would say he had it. By not really knowing what they do - if there is a reaction or he complains about something it is very real.

He does fill his own weekly container of meds; tells me when he is running low, takes them on his own as scheduled (assuming he wakes up Smile ).

So all in all he is doing what he needs and is capable of based on his education. It is another reason I attend the sessions with him and don't hand him a lot of information to read. I have found he relates better to layman terms or videos of people talking in everyday terms.

I will admit it makes some of this challenging, and again where my frustration comes in - but just another twist. Example: when we convinced him to take his AD's and they sent him soaring, it was hard for him to believe he needed something different because one he thought he felt fine, and two - if we were wrong before why are should he believe us.

It is a battle and challenging, and another reason his ability to articulate what he is experiencing has been challenging. He isn't stupid, far from it - just not book smart.

02/22/2010 12:00 PM
ohfaithful

Here's some info for anyone interested from a post that I made today!

Pick up The Body Ecology Diet by Donna Gates who has successfully helped many people reverse mental illnesses, and other illnesses, and autism. You can pick it up quickly at Amazon, but they also have it at the library but there is a waiting list. Most bookstores can order it but it takes a while for them to get it in.

It's more about adding "good bacteria" in the form of FERMENTED FOODS to your stomach to help fight the toxicity in your body. The theory is that "good bacteria" has to be added every day, to overload the body and overcome all of the "bad bacteria" in the form of toxins, drugs, etc.

It includes detoxing the LIVER, exercise, and "good bacteria," not really about products or pills too much. Much of what she talks about you can make in your kitchen for cheap and purchase at WHOLE FOOD STORES because fermented products sold in regular stores, pickles, cheese, wine, bourbon, yogurt, kefir, saurkraut, etc., are dead because they have been processed with high heat which kills the "good bacteria!" Good bacteria is necessary for your body to make it's own B vitamins which are generally deficient in individuals with mental illness!

I have some free detoxification methods that I found on the internet in my diary that are also natural and cheap! You can also check out the FERMENTED FOODS LIST IN THE CANDIDA FORUM.

Without detoxification and "good bacteria" we become malnourished and starve our brains! It's the way to go and things will get better! BEST OF LUCK!

Faith

Smile

Post edited by: ohfaithful, at: 02/22/2010 12:04 PM

03/01/2010 03:06 AM
ohfaithful

"Good bacteria" that I'm currently having success with to detox is raw, organic, coconut oil! Newbies should start out with a very small amount, it can cause huge die off symptoms that can be mistaken as an allergic reaction, otherwise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTRMhv31FFQ&feature=fvw

FaithSmile

03/01/2010 01:15 PM
WARHORSE
WARHORSE  
VIP Member

Faith: You're gonna have to keep writing more before I believe any of this, if I ever will.... Can I send my husband over to your house to try these things w/o meds???? (I certainly don't want him here....)

03/02/2010 09:49 AM
ohfaithful

Warhorse,

I think you're sadly missing the point, with all due respect. I'm not trying to covince you of anything. I'm simply telling my story and offering alternatives for those who are possibly looking for them. I would love to be able to help your husband, however, I'm currently working on getting myself stable and that is my priority.

I was just updating the post for anyone interested.

My moods are better, I'm sleeping better, I've actually had some jovial moments which is a godsend for both me and my family, I've lost some weight, I've had some moments of increased energy, and I recently handled a situation with my teenager that would have left me in tears with grace and dignity!

I'm thankful Warhorse, but thoroughly understand your frustation!

Have a great day!

Faith Smile

03/02/2010 10:05 AM
scotty04901
scotty04901  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Faithful, I see your point. If I understand correctly you are saying, Do this in addition". Isn't that correct?

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 5 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved