MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/18/2010 04:59 PM

Very Confused

Karen77

My 21 year old sister has bipolar. While going through this forum has been very informative it has made me quite sad. It seems like people with bipolar are not able to live a normal type life at all. Are there people out there who live a somewhat normal life with meds or are you always having highs and lows?

01/18/2010 05:30 PM
TerriTee
TerriTee  
VIP Member

Hi, karen.

Many of the posts you have read are from partners with unmedicated, untreated partners with bipolar. Admitting to having bipolar and seeking help and maintaining responsibilty can make all the difference. Although there isn't a cure, with treatment most can lead a happy, productive life. I think it's great that you're concerned about your sister. Please keep learning and helping her Smile

01/18/2010 05:39 PM
tinlizzy

Karen,

I have BPII and while I do have some mood swings they are not as debillitating because I am med compliant coupled with therapy and or counseling when necessary. You could always go to the BP support group and just read some posts. You don't have to join it if you don't want but it can give you some insight into the thinking processes your sister might have. Just a thought. Thank-you for loving your sister so much.

Post edited by: tinlizzy, at: 01/18/2010 05:40 PM

01/18/2010 06:10 PM
theexboyfriend

Hi Karen,

We had this discussion earlier in the group. The people here are here because they love their SO but also need a lot of support because of issues with their BPSO. It would be hard to say that we are a typical cross section of the spectrum. Having watched it first hand, medications can make a huge impact and I have heard that therapy can also. That being said, this is a great and very supportive place! Welcome and good luck.

Rich

01/18/2010 07:24 PM
owutatangledweb
owutatangledwebPosts: 2771

Hi Karen:

I agree with Lizzy that you should also read the posts in the Bipolar forum and the Bipolar II forum. THere, you will see many people who successfully manage their bipolar symptoms and how they do it. Although every person is different so they may all have different methods. But, #1 is the proper meds and therapy. Please keep us updated by posting here and asking questions, venting, etc. But, don't give up hope. Explore how others manage the illness and educate yourself to help your sister. We are here for you. Smile

01/19/2010 04:08 PM
broken33
broken33  

Many people with BP live very productive lives. acceptance of the illness and treatment are the keys.

01/19/2010 05:30 PM
Diona

I have to say from my experience with my DH who has BP it is possible to live a normal productive life. Keep the faith. A good doctor is essential as well as understanding of the illness and family support. It still is not always easy. My DH has good days and bad ones. Not to the extent where he is not productive or not functioning but just making mountains out of molehills as my girls like to say (today was one of them). Hope this site brings you some strength.

01/19/2010 05:41 PM
cptblack
cptblack  
VIP Member

I have to say I did have some very good times all during my illness. And yes, there were hidious times. But between all my mental and physical problems I'm living on a disabilty income.

But I still hold hope or the future.

01/19/2010 05:57 PM
grafxbydiane
grafxbydiane  
VIP Member

Karen77, I have to say that everyone that has this illness is different . I know my Aunt has had it for 20 plus years and yes she had episodes but they were during stressful times or when her doc tried to wean her off the meds saying maybe she did not need them . All and all she has been stable for many many years . So there are some stories that are not always gloomy .It all depends on when they are diagnosed it would seem the younger and sooner the better . So your sister has a good shot at stability if properly diagnosed and med compliant . good luck to you . Keep us posted

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved