MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
12/27/2009 06:41 AM

Took a big step

Mary2009
Mary2009  

I finally sent my husband an E-mail about my concerns of his being in a manic episode. He e-mailed me back saying he would not discuss his mental health with me, asking me to do things for him and telling me how I turned him into someone he wasn't. Blamed me for everything. It's painful but not unexpected. Having found this site has helped me so much. I know I am not responsible for him and that his memory of our life is a lie that the damned mania is telling him. I'm letting him know I'll still here and I'm sending a letter to his close family members with his mental health history so that they will know what's going on. They might still choose denial but there is nothing else I can do. I will have contact with him over financial issues but that will be it until the mania passes. I still do not intent to divorce him while he is in this state but I am moving forward with my life. Thank you all for your support and guidance. I know it's not over but this was a big, important step that I know I could have not done without you guys.

12/27/2009 07:14 AM
ceraliz77
ceraliz77  

I am proud of you. How long has he been manic?

12/27/2009 07:26 AM
Mary2009
Mary2009  

It's hard to say. I would say about three months. It's hard to really tell when it started. It feel so much longer.

12/27/2009 07:29 AM
ceraliz77
ceraliz77  

I just wonder when the mania will end? My husband has been manic for 4 months. Everyone says it will stop.

12/27/2009 07:33 AM
Mary2009
Mary2009  

Everyone is different and it depends on so many things it's just impossible to say. I know an “average” is 3-4 months but that means some last much shorter and some much longer. And with rapid cycling, you could even miss a change. There really is no way to tell.

12/27/2009 08:11 AM
HelpEr82
HelpEr82  

mine lasts for 1-2 months

12/28/2009 02:22 PM
sunday321

What does it feel like to be manic, are you aware of what you are doing to others and the hurt they are going through? Mine also says he has no mental health problem but was diagnosed years ago!

12/28/2009 03:32 PM
Mary2009
Mary2009  

Sunday, I would encourage you to read some personal account by those with BiPolar Disorder. I am reading “A Brilliant Madness” by Patty Duke. I have heard that “A unquiet Mind” is also very good. From what I understand, sometimes they see what they are doing and can't control it and other times they really don't see it.

12/28/2009 04:10 PM
sparks

pleas can somebody tell me what you mean by rapid cycling

12/28/2009 04:22 PM
HelpEr82
HelpEr82  

for me, it starts with hypomania. it feels great. it feels like i have all the energy in the world. nothing can bring me down. it feels like im on drugs, like speed or something. ive been down for so long so i go, up up and away. my mind is racing but its worth it for this amazing feeling. for maybe a week or two. i want to party and have fun

then it progresses into very bad anxiety. i cant stop thinking. my mind wont shut off. i cant go shopping, i cant drive very good. these things i think of wont go away.im constantly stressed out so i try to clean for 12 hours to occupy my mind with something else. I hear dogs barking. I hear music that isnt there. i see ghosts and dead people and hear peoples voices and im scared out of my mind. its not fun anymore. i want it to go away...

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved