MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
09/30/2012 06:07 AM

living with Bipolar mother

keepxhopex

Living with my bipolar mother is hard. i am only 14, i havent really got a lot of support from others and find it difficult to talk about as i do love her so much, i just dont no what to do, it hurts me so much seeing her moodswings, irrational things she does, i just dont no what to do and i am so confused.

please help me

09/30/2012 07:53 PM
marriedtoit
marriedtoit  
Group Leader

keep, welcome to the group.

Is your mom on meds? It sounds like she is unstable, and being stable starts with meds.

Is your dad in the picture? Can you talk to him and ask him to make a major intervention to help you?

Are there other relatives you could ask to help you?

If not, is there a teacher you can confide in?

If your mom is unstable, no amount of what YOU do will make much difference. SHE has to see that she needs to do a better job of staying stable. It CAN be done, so you are right to be angry or upset or hurt about this.

09/30/2012 08:38 PM
livinginablender
livinginablender  
VIP Member

living with my bipolar mother is hard

i talked to my oldest son today about his grandmothers instability

its an odd conversation to have with my adult offspring.

he cares for her a great deal. his perspective and relationship with her is different that mine.

it was hard growing up with it.

it is not all that easy growing old with it .

it is good to have people you can talk to that understand.

i have a sister , we talk. she is my person.

i am her person.

my moms mental illness looks like an elephant in the living room that everyone pretends not to see

when i was 14 , when my nose was not in a book,

i was on a horse or a motorcycle.

my dad was her enabler.

hard times

we are here

and understand.

Post edited by: livinginablender, at: 09/30/2012 08:39 PM

10/01/2012 01:08 AM
keepxhopex

My mum and dad aren't together, he doesn't deal with this stuff all too well, he is poorly himself with asbestos on his lungs, I don't want to stress him or anger him as that is what usually happens when I talk about what is going on with my mum. She doesn't take her meds, and the last time she was put into hospital was when I was 8, but there have been lots of episodes since then, just the doctors and police didn't get involved

10/01/2012 08:48 PM
marriedtoit
marriedtoit  
Group Leader

Is there a counselor at school you could confide in? I worry that if you are dealing with untreated mental illness, you are living in an often traumatic household. That means you could develop PTSD, post traumatic stress disorder. I have seen it happen so often. So many people wind up with anxiety issues and other problems in their adulthood.

If you have someone trained in counseling to confide in, you can confront the trauma now before it shapes all of your adulthood.

If you ever need to just come in the group and vent about your mum, you come do it!

12/20/2012 03:28 PM
ENG

I grew up in a similiar situation. I lost my dad when I was very young and I had no siblings in the house. My advice:

-Don't let her isolate you. She probably tells you there is something wrong with your friends or family members to keep you from getting close to anyone else.

-School is your ticket out. Delve in, get the best grades you can, go to college and get out of the house ASAP.

-Find an escape for now. For me it was books.

-Obviously, don't take the nastiness she says to heart. Remember that she is ill and that she is the problem and not you. Keep telling that to yourself.

-I know it seems like escape is so far away. It's a cliche, but take it day by day.

Best wishes to you. I know how hard it is.

01/03/2013 05:57 AM
lola123

Hi this must be so hard for you, my dad has bipolar and I am only 16 so i know what it is like. I always feel as though i am the adult and he is the child when I am around him. Hope your ok just make sure you remember that there are always people who understand even though somethimes it feels like you are the only one.

best wishes lola x

Post edited by: lola123, at: 01/03/2013 05:57 AM

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved