MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/26/2010 01:52 PM

Just Joined Looking for Advice

MENSA2010

Today I took a survey about medication, and I realized how uncontrolled my bi-polar disorder is, and I also realized there are on-line support groups, so I found this one. Lately, I've had no mania, just pure depression where taking a shower is a real task. That just sounds gross to even write, but I feel hopeless. Even though I am on medication, I feel that there is no real medication that can really help. I feel like I've tried almost everything, and nothing works. I also lost my health insurance, job and recently both parents have died...What keeps you all going?

03/26/2010 02:18 PM
HiddenButterfly
HiddenButterfly  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

MENSA2010, welcome to our little family. What keeps me going? My hubby refusing to allow me to stay in bed and forcing me to get out and do things.His continually reminding me that I have threee children that are depending on me and the love they give me. If you ever want to talk, feel free to pull up a chair and grab a couple of fresh doughnuts or cookies and a cup of coffe.My door is almost always open.

Brenda

03/26/2010 06:55 PM
pirateprincess421
pirateprincess421  
VIP Member

Welcome to the group. Brenda is right we are a wonderful group. **pats everyone on the back****. But I have been stablized on my meds and that is what helped me. I also had ECT treatments and that turned around my whole world. But on the days I struggle, I know I can come here and recieve friendship.

03/26/2010 09:09 PM
MENSA2010

Thanks...I have no children, and my husband is confused about my illness. He doesn't know what to do. I don't want to hurt him at all. He is the only thing that keeps me going some days...other days....I don't know what it is that keeps me alive. Just pure will power most often. I know I need help, but I cannot afford to get it.

03/26/2010 09:31 PM
MENSA2010

What does stabilized on your meds look like? I have been in crisis for a long time now, and just by pure will power I've been sort of keeping it together, but I am at my wits end...don't know if I can afford all that medication, or if any doctor would prescribe it to me...doctors are so afraid of prescribing anything, and I don't discuss the condition with them either...I am sure you are insured...

03/27/2010 03:02 AM
kathie111

Welcome MensA2010. I have only been here a short time and this is such a wonderful group. I tell you what this group has kept me going in the last month or so. Just to hear that someone cares does a lot for me. I dont take medication much to the disgust of many but have it on call if necessary but I work a very disciplined spiritual program that helps. I attend AA, go to church, practice changing the way I think. My motivation usually is my kids, but some days it is this site that keeps me going. I dont recommend not taking meds to anyone it is a very hard road that way and dangerous at times. I hope you find the love and warmth that I have found here. Feel free to vent, ask, cry, whatever - there is a wealth of wisdom and caring here................hugs

03/27/2010 07:39 AM
HiddenButterfly
HiddenButterfly  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

MENSA, if it is purely a financial issue as to the meds, there are many programs out there to help get meds for little cost and sometimes even free. All pharmacutical companies have to put a certian percentage of their porfit aside to assist those that cannot afford their meds. The cheapest way for them to do this is by offering the mends to the people. It is advertisement, and the amount that is charged for the meds is much greater that teh actual cost of producing them.

Brenda

03/27/2010 08:22 AM
MENSA2010

I can really tell this group is kind. I need to join a church, which I know would really help me. I know God is on my side, but it helps to have other spiritual people around you too. I guess I will have to also discuss the condition with my family doctor, but he also deals with addiction issues too, so maybe he might know a bit about how to effectively treat bi-polar. I am on Wellbutrin and Prozac, and they just don't seem to work all that well...I see a lot of you on Lamictal...is that something I should ask about?

03/27/2010 09:10 AM
HiddenButterfly
HiddenButterfly  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Lamitical is one of the newer anticonvulsants that work well as a mood stabilizer. Others would be depekote, tegretol, and topamax. Depression in bp is most commonly treated with lamitical, seroquel, zyprexa, or symbyax(a combonation of zyprexa and prozac). It is not recommended that someone that has bp be treated with antidepressants alone,as it is known to trigger manic episodes and studies have shown that they are no more effective that placebos are.Common antipsychotic meds include zyprexa, seroquel, risperdal, abilify, geodon, and clozaril. Benzodiazepines are good for helping with anxiety, insomnia, and/or aggitation. The most common ones are xanax, klonopin,valium, and ativan.

Each person responds differently to meds and needs to disscuss the effects and symptoms with their doc.

Brenda

03/27/2010 10:27 AM
mem2078

Tell your Hubby about the 'Bipolar in the Family' Group. He might do well to read some pamplets as well. The kind they have at most clinics are a good start. Having someone who knows a least some of what you are challenged by is very helpful.

Post edited by: cptblack, at: 03/27/2010 10:28 AM

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved