MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
11/23/2011 08:27 AM

Thanksgiving - What are you thankful for?

jadedrose

I was raised with a firm belief in the traditional American thinking. That included large family gatherings on holidays. Even many extended family, and friends, came to our home for them. My mom's kitchen was filled with constant cooking for 3-4 days prior. Dozens of people would come, some even stayed all day, holiday mealtime was always around noon. Everyone overate, and grazed throughout the day, and watched football and parades.

That ended when I was 20 and my mom died from cancer. Suddenly everything changed, nothing was as I believed it to be or how I knew our life. Each member of my immediate family went seperate ways.

I remember spending that first Thanksgiving home alone, crying. It took years before I participated in holidays again, I began again due to my nieces and nephews. However, my family as I knew it was dead. The things I was taught to believe in were irrelevant. With the birth of my daughter I found a purpose, a reason to rekindle family traditional holidays.

Last year my nephew died of cancer the week before Thanksgiving, my pops died the day after. This year I do not have my custody of my daughter. I will once again sit alone.

But I have loved ones, friends, that have much heavier weight this holiday. Several have lost a child in death, for one of my oldest friends' Thanksgiving is the anniversary of her son's death...he was only 5 when it happened.

My heart, my empathy, my prayers, reach out to them, and any like them. I will not sit alone and cry as i did at 20 years old. I will pray for strength for others in need.

Many people ask around the Thanksgiving table, "what are you thankful for?" I am sitting at a symbolical table and thankful for God in my life, His grace, undeserved kindness, the hope. I am thankful for every person in my life that I have the opportunity of loving. I am thankful for my daughter, who's love for me is unconditional, as mine is for her. For these are true gifts.

11/23/2011 08:36 AM
uppitywoman
uppitywoman  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I, too, am grateful for a relationship with God, for His presence in my life and the grace He has poured out on me. Twenty-seven years ago I put the cork in the bottle because He intervened in my life and has helped me cope with the traumas in my life in healthier ways, bringing continued healing. I am grateful for a family who loves me, for a husband who has stayed with me for twenty-four years and for a beautiful son. I am thankful for so many other blessings that I have been given and I am mindful that so many others are not celebrating because of pain and loneliness. Of others who haven't the blessings I have and I pray that they will be healed and be able to move forward.

11/24/2011 07:21 AM
Arauna

I am thankful for God who has saved me more times than I know. I am thankful for my family, with all their dysfunction; they helped shaped the person I am today which is not all bad. I am thankful for my kids and grandkids; I have never known such sweet, unconditional love before. Speaking of love I am grateful for a special man in my life, special not because of my bias but is very wise, intuitive and empathetic. I firmly believed I would never love another man again and certainly never dreamed that there was someone who really could love me, not because they "have" to, because they want to.

As always I am thankful for clean running water, food, shelter, etc.

11/24/2011 02:44 PM
Arauna

Oh yes, the TOILET!

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved