MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/15/2011 05:20 AM

Emotionally Disconnected

ApRiLGeTsAngry77

Does anyone else have symptoms of being emotionally disconnected? I also think this would mean being constantly in wise mind and rarely transferring to emotional mind.

I have problems with dissociating and being emotionally disconnected a lot of the time. I have practiced mindfulness but I am still doing this.

Does anyone have any suggestions or tips about this?

05/15/2011 06:16 AM
Enigma1969
Enigma1969  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I wish I had some toips for you April, but I experience the same thing. I feel disconnected all day sometimes. Like I'm living in another world.

05/15/2011 06:22 AM
TexasYankee
TexasYankee  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I, too, go through this. I find that when I am too stessed, I shut down. When I get this way, I will try to focus on ANY emotion that happens to come to me, even if it is negative. At least then I know I am alive. Life can feel so surreal sometimes.

I don't really have any tips. I just have to let it run its course. Unfortunately, when it seems to pass, I end up on either extreme again. I wonder if it is a defense/coping mechanism. I wish I knew how to make it go away. I don't like feeling dead inside.

05/15/2011 06:26 AM
TexasYankee
TexasYankee  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Wise mind vs. Emotional mind. I don't know the difference often. I utilize whatever wisdom I may have as I grow. I am sure there were emotions attached to every situation that the potential wisdom grew from in the first place. It is challenging to pull out of the thinking mind and enter the emotional mind. I find the emotional mind is too overwhelming some days. I am often afraid of opening that door thinking the flood gates will open full blast and take me down. I don't know how to connect again until the pain has passed.

Does that make sense?

05/15/2011 10:41 PM
ApRiLGeTsAngry77

Yes it makes a lot of sense. Wise Mind and Emotional Mind are terms used in DBT therapy. You pretty much described what they are in your post. When you mentiond opening the door to the flood gates, racing thoughts came to mind. I have been having a lot of them lately and I have decided that I am going to call the pdoc about it. I am glad to know that I am not the only one that suffers from this. Thanks for the insight- you guys are the best!

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved