MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/21/2011 12:40 PM

Lithium and nightmares

cassidy

I am new to this website and have a question for anyone taking Lithium. I started taking Lithium about 2 weeks ago. About 5 days into treatment I began having terrible nightmares which have continued. The dreams are extremely vivid and feel real and are very disturbing. My therapist is on vacation and I have great difficulty in reaching out for help besides. I haven't read about this side effect anywhere else in the medical sites I've visited. Has anyone else had this experience?

04/21/2011 02:33 PM
Arauna

Hi Cassidy! Welcome to the group! I take lithium, 900 mg at night. I too have very vivid dreams and nightmares, but I was told it was not related to the lithium. I don't know if I'd buy that or not, but since I was put on other meds at the same time the only way I could know for sure would be to stop taking everything else, and I am not willing to risk getting sick, either manic or depressed. I'll do some checking around, I have some medical resources due to my job that may have more information.

04/21/2011 02:59 PM
dizzyb
dizzyb  
VIP Member

Welcome to the group Cassidy Smile

I also take Lithium and have not experienced nightmares. Depakote? Yes. Perhaps there is something else going on that has coincided with your starting the Lithium? This could be giving you nightmares. I'm not sure how long you've been diagnosed? But there is always the anxiety about a new situation, even starting a new med. So nightmares could be anxiety related.

This is a great group so come to us for support Smile

04/21/2011 04:41 PM
Arauna

OK I found a couple of places that said yes, lithium can cause nightmares, but if you have PTSD it is just as likely that the nightmares are from that.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved