MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
10/04/2010 12:07 PM

What is your PTSD?

TexasYankee
TexasYankee  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I am new to this group and am curious. First let me say though that this is the first time that I have seriously thought of PTSD. I know I have some or I wouldn't have some of the anxiety that I have.

I am wondering, what form does your PTSD come in? Meaning, what is the trigger?

Example...I don't drive unless I absolutely have to. I am terrified of it. I know this stems from having my car accident over a year ago. I got T-boned and this girl totaled my car. Had she been coming straight instead of from a turn, I probably wouldn't be here. It traumatized me and I have yet to figure out how to really deal with it. I know it may seem lame but it affects me nonetheless.

Of course, I have sexual trauma too but I can't go into that. Too raw of emotions and it sets off my mania quickly and then the depression severely. I tend to just avoid sex because of it. (there, I admit it, to myself and you all) I blame my meds but I know it is a lot more than my meds. Wow, can't believe how long I have been holding that little white lie. I just don't know how to deal yet.

Anyway, I am interested to learn what trauma you are all dealing with. Maybe we can help each other?

10/04/2010 12:16 PM
HiddenButterfly
HiddenButterfly  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Congrats on admitting to yourself about the truth of your avoidance of sex. I know that all to well. Currently I am trying ot deal with a lot of the effects of the physical abuse endured throughout my early life. From time to time, I have to revisit the child sexual abuse traumas. Always woring on the effects that the emotional abuse has had on me. As I told hubby the other day, there are so many triggers for me that I cannot even begin to list them all. Most of them I can handle at this point, but there are still some that will send back in time, of paralize me completely.

Brenda

10/04/2010 12:25 PM
Irishangel88
Irishangel88  
VIP Member

Hey, I know you Tongue Um, triggers can be anything from a smell to a look in somebody's eye, to a tone of voice someone has. I know when someone sounds or looks angry, I get nervous. Loud noises make me jump, getting touched suddenly sometimes has gotten the person that touched me, well.....bleeding. (sorry, fight or flight). but, we can work on little tips and tricks to help ourselves in the moments. Like me, I have a three second rule. Breathe, Think, then react. Deep breath to calm, thinking "is this rational, or panic thinking?" and then reacting based on the answer. I'm glad your here Angela Smile

10/04/2010 12:33 PM
TexasYankee
TexasYankee  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Brenda, I too have a ton of childhood abuse issues to deal with. I grew up with a schizophrenic mother and pedo father. I hate how I react sometimes because there are triggers every day, it seems. I hear ya, Erin, about what can trigger. I went through a lot of trauma last winter and just the smell of autumn in the air sent me for a loop. I love this time of year but the irrational fear that this winter will be a repeat of last sends me diving.

My word for the day was "rational". It is so important that we stay rational so that we aren't reacting blindly. My family sets me off but I then have to remember that it isn't their fault, they just "remind" me of things that I would rather not remember. Gotta love the subconscious though, huh?

I totally understand the "fight or flight"....now stop busting noses, Erin, ya meanie. Tongue LOL! Btw, I am glad to be here. Thank you for guiding me. Smile

10/04/2010 12:58 PM
Irishangel88
Irishangel88  
VIP Member

I think, I think that the more your comfortable here, the easier it will be to discuss these issues with us. Smile Not going to push you too hard right now Smile Just gonna let everybody say hi to you, and realize what a fabulous person you are Smile

10/04/2010 01:02 PM
TexasYankee
TexasYankee  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

You made my heart smile. Smile

10/04/2010 02:26 PM
HiddenButterfly
HiddenButterfly  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

We do not push on anything. Just a gentle nudge here or there, if we think it could be useful. But always stay within your comfort zone.

Brenda

10/04/2010 05:30 PM
UpdownGirl
UpdownGirl  

My PTSD stems from childhood abuse during which I was held at gunpoint and threatened withe death sometimes several times a day for most of my childhood. My father was bipolar and an alcoholic and screamed and raged constantly threatening us with death. I am triggered by any loud noises. I get down on the ground and try to hide. I have nightmares and night terrors related to the abuse. If people come up behind me unexpectedly I am terrified. Angry or annoyed looks on people's faces scare me. Thunderstorms scare me. When I drive on a road if another car is running too evenly with me in the next lane, I am afraid someone in the car will shoot me in the head. I also have a sexual attack trauma.

10/06/2010 01:10 PM
kathyparker

We could be mentally twins

10/06/2010 01:15 PM
kathyparker

I suffer from several PTSD. Those ole ghost will not control my life, Ive blocked those demons, they come up from time to time, especially if I get very stressed. The horror Ive been through if i gave it much thought,i would have the emotional break down I so well deserve!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved