MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
02/28/2010 09:40 PM

BP and PTSD going hand in hand

MrsTibbs
MrsTibbs  

So I have been wondering about this... do you think you can have ptsd from things you do during episodes? I am not sure if anyone else has talked about this (probably though), but it seems to me that my part of my PTSD comes from not being able to control myself.

And yet, it is such a vicious cycle. I could say that it is all connected, that one stemmed from another, or that they have amplified one another...

How can you possibly separate the two? Having BP in and of itself is traumatizing!

02/28/2010 09:54 PM
HiddenButterfly
HiddenButterfly  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Yes, BP is traumatizing, but PTSD is cause by a past trauma. It is some sort of stressor that causes the brain to feel like it did during the original trauma and causes a reaction to the original trauma even though that is not what is currently what is going on.

Brenda

02/28/2010 10:27 PM
MrsTibbs
MrsTibbs  

hmm... I guess I could be more specific... I don't really know just how specific I want to be.

Well, maybe along the lines of like very very risky sexual behavior. I have done some things during episodes that are traumatic, and also engaged in risky behavior that caused traumatic things to happen to me (i.e. acquaintance rape).

02/28/2010 10:32 PM
HiddenButterfly
HiddenButterfly  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

That is typical manic behavior and if you have a history of sexual abuse,then it very well could be triggering a PTSD response. As well as a history of sexual abuse could be a promt to act out in the risky behaviors.

Brenda

02/28/2010 10:34 PM
MrsTibbs
MrsTibbs  

right? it's so cyclical especially when it comes to sexuality.

02/28/2010 10:37 PM
HiddenButterfly
HiddenButterfly  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

SOme one that has a predisposition tho BP is also likely to have it triggered by a hisory of sexual abuse. There are a lot of things intertwind herein.

Brenda

02/28/2010 11:22 PM
cptblack
cptblack  
VIP Member

It does seem reasonable in it's own way. PTSD can throw you into depression. Too much depression MAY lead into a Bipolar Disorder.

Bipolar people often have sexual issues. That can lead to getting into a situation that causes PTSD later. But PTSD is often discovered after a period of loss of memory of the event that causes the PTSD.

I 'forgot' my childhood sexual abuse for most of 30 years until a 'trigger' event. It all came out at once and left me rocking on the bottom of the shower for hours. My girlfriend found me and drove me to the hospital thinking I'd had a stroke. I was semi-hyperthemic from about 6 hours under cold shower, and kept in the hospital for a week. On the Psyc ward.

My PTSD has 2 reactions when it is triggered because I have 2 different tramatic events that tramatized me. One is the childhood trama, the other an adult trama.

03/01/2010 07:42 AM
mechjockusa
mechjockusa  

ptsd leads to bp trauma, things that have happened in the past when triggered tend to trigger bp. I can be fine one minute and answer a thread and suddendly I am back it 1987 and getting the shit beat out of myself by my mother and then the depression kicks in on the bp side. It is a crazy cycle.

03/02/2010 02:36 PM
greenteahero

relate to you mechjock about being triggered for BP depression due to PTSD. thanks for sharing

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved