MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/11/2012 01:16 PM

Bipolar and can't work anymore

jillybean10

I have recently been diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder and my feelings, emotions and actions are getting in the way of my work and my personal life. Going to work is even too stressful. It is hard to get out of bed and when I finally do I will be so sick to my stomach and sometimes I throw up. I have just been put on Lamictal and prozac. Been taking it for 5 days now and woke up to feeling really sick, dizzy and throwing up this morning. I have been calling out sick a lot and I am so stressed out that I am going to lose my job but I don't think I can handle working anymore. I have anxiety attacks at work and everyone wonders what is wrong with me. Sometimes I will just stare at the computer for a few hours and not do any work. I can't concentrate. I have also held back some important work info for weeks before telling my boss because I am afraid of confrontation. I have to take the train to work and when someone sits next to me or if someone is walking too close to me I get heat and rage inside me. I have been in many fights and I am afraid I am just going to snap one of these times. I think I should try to get on disability until I can get some control back but I read that you can't be working at the time you apply for disability. My fiance is out of work right now and I am the only one bringing in money. This is adding to me stress and anxiety for me to keep my job. I have been seeing a therapist once a week for the past 5 weeks and all she has done is listen to what I have to say and she says "that's interesting" and told some breathing techniques to calm down.

04/12/2012 12:52 AM
sugarcatgrl
sugarcatgrl  

Your post reminds me of me~some days it is so hard to go to work and be around people. I have no problem with my customers, it's my coworkers who bug me with their games and judgment. I am learning to deal with these women a bit better, but it has taken time and a lot of self control. I too worry I am going to "go off" on someone and get in big trouble. A couple of years ago I was written up for swearing at a coworker so I really have to watch my mouth.

04/15/2012 07:26 AM
youngfilly
youngfilly  
VIP Member

Hey Jillybean,

I understand what you mean when you talk about that rage feeling inside you. One day it got that bad for me with a boss that I said to them I have going home now and I am taking some leave. They accepted it and I did go get a medical certificate to back it up. The Dr gave me however long I needed. I had to do it otherwise I would have seriously injured someone.

Funny thing is, during the time I was away things got done that I wanted done but kept getting put on the back burner, like replacing me in the team I no longer wanted to be in. Yay! It is amaing how fast things can work when someone walks out on stress leave Wink

Not saying it will work for your situation but thats how it worked for me

04/16/2012 12:26 PM
jillybean10

Ok so I got put on new medication and needed to stay home while I dealt with some side effects. That was on last Tuesday. My fiance went to my work for me that day to drop off the mail key and some paperwork and my boss told him that I could work from home until I get better. Today I received an email from my boss laying me off. He is giving me until the end of the month. Is that even legal? I am going to the psychiatrist today to talk this out and talk about my new meds. I went to my primary care doctor because I couldn't wait to be put on meds any longer and she put me on lamictal and prozac. I have read a lot about anti depressants for bipolar that it can make it worse or not do anything at all. Hope I can feel better soon.

04/16/2012 02:29 PM
nurse932

I'm sorry to hear you were laid off. It was very rude of him to do it thru e-mail. He couldn't even have the decency to call you? I don't know about the legality of it, maybe it is if your boss can prove that you are unable to do your job in a satisfactory way from home according to his opinion. I'm not sure, but its worth it to check it out. Being laid off would be stressful enough to bring on an episode for me. I wish you luck and stay strong.

04/17/2012 04:50 AM
youngfilly
youngfilly  
VIP Member

Is there a union member or employment agency or organisation you can speak to about the way you were laid off?

Too bad but at least now you can take care of yourself Smile

04/17/2012 12:16 PM
nurse932

I have a co worker that constantly takes off from work for different illnesses. She has bad scoliosis and problems with her feet. She is in alot of pain. We all work with her and our supervisor always helps her to fill out the disability forms so she can take off extended leave.

04/18/2012 08:29 AM
jillybean10

Wish my boss was that understanding. Now that my boss has given me 2 weeks to be laid off I can't get myself to come to work. I have major anxiety every time I think about work. I went to the therapist the other day and had an anxiety attack while driving there and while sitting in the lobby. I am not sure if the new meds are making me worse or the pills aren't working yet. I am on lamictal and prozac. Just started taking it about 2 weeks ago.

04/18/2012 02:17 PM
nurse932

Unfortunately, the side effects happen much earlier than any positive effect from the meds. Lamictal and prozac takes about 4-6 weeks for the full effect. I think. 2 weeks is definitely too early to have full benefits.

This time I don't think its the meds, rather the havoc this boss is causing in your life.

04/19/2012 09:19 AM
rainegirl
rainegirl  

You need to get a clear reason for being sacked from your boss. Employment law in both the UK and US prevents sacking someone due to their disability (and bipolar is considered a disability). It could be presented as a performance issue, which would be quite sneaky, but from the way it's been handled it sounds like you could have grounds for an appeal. I'd advise you to look at the relevant legislation if you want to challenge the decision.

http://www.ada.gov/

http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/equalities/equality-act/

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved