MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
02/07/2012 10:34 PM

Introductions(page 4)

Zapato
Zapato  

Thanks for the intro, Darius. I've seen you milling around and always thought you seemed like a neat person. One good thing to come out of the bank teller job is that, if you did not already, you will probably have a lifelong appreciation for all that goes into a seemingly simple service job. Even if it was never truly a threat, all the same you'll be inoculated against ever having that jerky attitude. (There has to be a better way to phrase that. Chalk it up to being late and me being down to my last brain cell.)

05/10/2012 02:17 PM
porella1993

WornOut2, Your husband is a fortunate guy to have your support. Por

05/11/2012 07:08 AM
wisewuman

DinoDarius, you're so young, embrace that youth is on your side. I've somehow managed to work for the same organisation since leaving school (over 22.5 years now), have a successful marriage (of 11 years so far) and a beautiful 6 year old daughter. But it's been far from plain sailing. I only got diagnosed with bipolar after all this, at aged 39. Embrace the fact that you've been diagnosed young and have a better chance in life, early on. At 39, I've grabbed my diagnosis & treatment with both hands and won't let go. Just wish it had come sooner.

01/06/2013 07:21 PM
huffnpuff
huffnpuff  

Hello all,

My name is Martin, I am 45 years old and I was diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder in June 2010. I have been married since 1989 and I have 2 sons who are now 12 and 10 years old. Prior to being diagnosed in 2012 I do not believe I exhibited any of the signs of being bipolar, its like before June 2010 I wasn't bipolar, and in June 2010 something happened to me and since then I have been bipolar. Has anyone else experienced this?

I work as a Project Manager at an Electrical Engineering company in Sydney Australia. I used to get overwhelmed with my work but I have found that if I just focus on doing one thing at a time and taking things one day at a time, my weeks fly by and before I know it its weekend again. I have been told by my case manager that I am highly functional, and I have no reason to doubt this.

I have been in hospital twice with manic episodes, and I only consider myself sick (bipolar) when I'm manic. The rest of the time while stable I consider myself normal, just like everyone else. I don't believe I need to tell anyone I'm bipolar unless I'm having an episode and need help.

I am generally inclined to want to be fit and healthy and I do not like taking meds, but I know that if I do not take them there is a risk that I may have another manic episode. My manic episodes were very disruptive and I was not able to function normally. I take my meds because I have a family to support and I need to keep it together for them.

I enjoy MDJ and I find that posting here about my experiences helps to lift my mood and makes me feel happier.

I wish you all well!

Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile

Post edited by: huffnpuff, at: 01/06/2013 07:21 PM

01/07/2013 09:36 AM
Jarhead75
Jarhead75Posts: 401
Group Leader

Welcome to the group Martin.

01/13/2013 01:05 PM
Soulfly
Soulfly  

Hello Smile

I am a 27 year old female who has struggled with anxiety since early childhood and the mood disorders set in when I was about 11 years old. In my early 20's I was diagnosed by multiple psychologists and psychiatrists with bipolar II disorder and did not accept the diagnosis. After some serious manic episodes, my diagnosis was changed to Bipolar I and having lived through them and seen the patterns in my behavior and moods, am just now accepting the diagnosis. I am doing everything I can to learn more about the illness and am lucky to have a husband that completely supports me the best he can. I am currently a special education teacher, who recently moved states and am doing substitute teaching; however, I am at a pivotal point in my career path. Due to the demands of being a teacher, and what seems to be worsening bipolar, I am looking for other lines of work and am happy to have come across this forum.

Thanks for giving me the chance to introduce myself and I look forward to getting to know some of you better.

Post edited by: Soulfly, at: 01/13/2013 01:05 PM

Post edited by: Soulfly, at: 01/13/2013 01:06 PM

01/14/2013 10:43 AM
Jarhead75
Group Leader

Welcome to the group soulfly. I hope you can find some answers.

02/07/2013 05:39 AM
csteel
csteel  

I have bipolar I - mixed state. I am now on intermittent FMLA {leave} from work, which means when I am in a hypo mania state I can freely leave work or take an hour or two break from work. This makes me feel incompetent. I have a high stress job as a Business Analyst and Project Manager. It is nearly impossible to just do this without people knowing, and without it interfering with my productivity. I am seriously considering disability. I have been dealing with bipolar for 25 or more years. The slighted trigger sends me into tears or agitation where walking or removing myself from the situation is no longer working. I feel trapped and hopeless. I have an emergency appointment with my med doctor and therapist in a couple of days. There is much more to the work story, as my supervisor is under investigation due to her inappropriate management style, which affects others as well. I am taking a few hours off this morning and try to get into the office for my afternoon meetings. The anxiety meds seem to make things worse at work. Any suggestions?

02/07/2013 09:53 AM
Jarhead75
Group Leader

Welcome to the group CSTEEL... I am also a project manager who has BP2. While Mania is not my issue, depression is my demon. While it is under control with meds, they only mask what is going on in my mind...

Be thankful you have FMLA on your side. Wish I was able (brave enough) to request it. My Marine Corps training keeps me at the job, that I want to walk away from. Once your pdoc gets you stable, you should be able to work through these issues. Remember you also have ADA on your side (just becareful with ADA), if you need it. Keep working at it...

02/07/2013 11:05 AM
csteel
csteel  

Thanks for the feedback Jarhead75. I decided to bag the afternoon meetings and took a nap. Woke up crying from a bad dream. At least I was able to sleep awhile. I also jut got an email from my HR person telling me I need to get re-evaluated for FMLA. It looks like work (HR) is pushing for me to take off a block of time. I have mixed feelings about this...

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 4 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved