MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/16/2008 01:40 PM

Lifelong Insomnia

Rachele01
Peace4Rach  
Group Leader

I've suffered from insomnia all my life. For the past several years I've taken medication for depression and sleep problems. I have trouble getting to sleep and staying asleep without the meds. I feel terrible about being so dependent on medication and when I try to do without them I awake in the middle of the night and have trouble getting back to sleep. It's not a sleep apnea thing but it's something that disturbs my life because I have to nap during the day or my eyes hurt and burn. Had my eyes checked, everythins's fine with them accept allergies. Had my bloodwork done, nothing abnormal. Anyone have these problems or suggestions?

04/16/2008 01:58 PM
singingangel

I have had insomnia and trouble sleeping also. I have taken meds for it also. I found out I did have sleep apnea. I also Know that stress can cause problems also. Play relaxing CD, drink some tea, soak in tub or read before bed. Those things help some. Hope this helps. hugs

04/16/2008 04:00 PM
southern10
southern10  
VIP Member

Hello Rachel..I have insomnia due to having bipolar...I am on a mild sedative to make me sleep...Stress and worry will fight the sleep from you,so as angel suggested read a good book,watch tv,drink some milk and make sure you have a soft and comfortable pillow....hugs

05/01/2008 09:36 PM
Rachele01
Peace4Rach  
Group Leader

I just can't get a peaceful night sleep. I'm so jealous of the people who sleep as soon as their head hits the pillow. I'm a light sleeper, have anxiety and depression and now with my mom's death forget it. I've always dreaded the night time since childhood. I remember sleepwalking as a child. And I always felt axiety and fear when nighttime hit. Everyone in the house could be asleep except for me. All the days worries and upcoming things to do during the week would always keep my mind racing. Now since mom died, I consumed with the fact that she's gone and I really need to know that she's in heaven and not got put in the ground. Meds don't even help when you're consumed with such uneasieness and despair. Sorry to go on like this. I'm just having a hard time and reality hits me at night when nothings going on. My mind just won't let go of the worries, fears and everday stressors.

05/02/2008 05:46 AM
singingangel

Try to think of other things when it is bedtime.Deal with "mom" earlier since it is upsetting. You need to do things that are relaxing to you. Let your mind dwell on thngs that are peaceful and serene to you. Playing relaxing music really does help. If you think on unpleasant things you wont sleep. So try these things. Soaking in tub with candles and lavendar. Reading is better than tv. Tv tends to keep insominacs up. Drinking Bedtime Story tea will help you relax.

I pray you get a good nights sleep soon. You are in our thoughts and prayers.

Biggest hugs

Lori

05/02/2008 04:52 PM
Rachele01
Peace4Rach  
Group Leader

Thanks Lori, I got to try something. I've been reading spirituality books since my mom died to try to get some comfort. Most of them did give me comfort and a warm feeling inside. They talk alot about God as well and signs from our loved ones passed which makes me feel what I'm getting is also real. Maybe some music would also help but I can't help but listen to music with alot of emotion and it makes me cry. Maybe it's just the process I need to go through. Thanks for your ideas.

05/02/2008 05:35 PM
singingangel

There are relaxing CDs. I got one from target. They really help w/o causing our grief to come out. I know lack of sleep can really be hard on our emotions. I hope something helps you soon. Sometimes soaking in a nice warm bath helps. hugs

06/29/2008 12:37 AM
Rachele01
Peace4Rach  
Group Leader

I've been up the last 2 nights in the middle of the night and can't go back to sleep. I took my sleeping medication, not much help except making me more tired the next day. I have so much to do today and don't no how I'll get it done if I don't sleep well. I put the TV on a while, then turned it off and laid there awake thinking. Anyone else have this problem?

06/29/2008 03:18 AM
singingangel

TV can be stimulating. Reading is better to do when you need to sleep. Also make sure you are not drinking anything with caffeine after noon. It can keep you up or cause disturb sleep. Again try not to think about things that you are concerned about or upset you. You might need your meds adjusted also. I hope you get sleep soon. I know the problems it can cause.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved