MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/05/2011 04:34 PM

just diagnosed

rzrwire

well that subject says it all. i talked to my doc after being put on a steroid at the ER. his plan is to just wait for a month and see how it goes. i feel like i should do more. the ER recommended a neurologist and i think i can self refer. my symptoms do not seem as extreme as others on this board, but i can certainly relate to the feeling we must all be having. i can only wish you all well, and any advice will certainly be of value to me. thanks.

04/06/2011 05:55 AM
Alya
AlyaPosts: 301

I think the doctor is probably correct...from what I've seen during the 2 years with Bell's...really nothing 'works"...the body reacts and heals itself in reinnervation...or not! I don't think the early intervention of steroids really does anything and the literature about this also indicates uncertainty. Good that the symptoms are not serious. You are lucky with that.

Seeing a neurologist might just give you more information. S.

04/07/2011 10:04 PM
rzrwire

Thanks Alya. From reading some of your previous posts it appears that you have a lot of great advice, and experience dealing with Bell's. I have no pain, or hearing issues which can happen I read. My right side of the face is my issue, droopy eye and such. I have learned the straw trick for drinking, saw you had posted that in another discussion.

Are there any more nifty tricks like that? I have a list from the ER of things to do, but are there others that might be useful?

Straw for drinking

Tape eye at night - I use paper tape

Drops for eye

Eye patch

Sunglasses

I have been practicing making sounds, if I concentrate and do not hurry sounds/words are pretty good. I found some eye patches that might come in handy when I go for a haircut, they cover the whole eye. I am not thinking they would be good for over night though.

Thanks again for your advice!

Post edited by: rzrwire, at: 04/07/2011 10:13 PM

Post edited by: rzrwire, at: 04/09/2011 11:22 PM

04/08/2011 06:13 AM
Alya

sorry...tried again to write...the using a medical tape, be careful which one, to seal the eye at night...stay in contact with the opthalmologist to be sure that the cornea if not damaged.

Speaking...even now, to make the speech very comprehensible...I put 1 or 2 fingers on the affected side...as if it simply a "habit" that I have...try not to call attention to it...BUT it does make the sound of the speech clearer...I envision (I know this might sound strange) how I used to smile and then smile that way...try it! Smile 'normally" with Bell's and then envision your "real" smile...and see if there is a difference...for me there is.

Speech therapy...find a good one who can give you exercises ...I thought just speaking was sufficient, but I did, with the hmo , see a speech therapist & even though I don't practice as I should...I realize that it "feels comfortable" to do the sorts of repetitions" fa, fo, fu, fay, fi" something like that and also "tongue twisters..." have to run...let me know. S

04/14/2011 09:22 AM
rzrwire

Good news, I seem to be regaining some movement. Had some issue with my eye today. So paying close attention to it, one of my main concerns was the eye on the affected side.

Seems to be improving, but was feeling like it got scratched sometime while I slept. I just love the eye goobers in the morning.

04/24/2011 07:44 PM
rzrwire

well i can count my lucky stars, i am almost 100%. thanks for being there!

04/24/2011 09:15 PM
Alya

you are lucky! I am 2 years into Bell's and it is permanent now...only about 10% of us, I guess, never recover...so, good for you! Delighted that you are healed! S.Grin

04/27/2011 06:21 PM
rzrwire

Thanks, I have a few slight issues left, but I feel very lucky. I cannot thank you enough, you have been a great resource!

04/27/2011 07:50 PM
Alya

i am 2 years into Bell's, mouth still twisted, eye with limiting vision...so, I am thankful for you that you only have a few "slight issues"...I know I will never get better..there are times I become very despondent...at the end of April, it will be exactly 2 months. My face will never be the same, nor will I be...Always glad when someone else surpasses Bell's. S.Kissing

06/18/2011 07:32 PM
hdate

Has anyone had a Bells recurrence? I had it in Sept 2010 and it went away after 1 month. I now have it again and it's going on 9 weeks. This time around, I had pain for a few weeks in my temple, by my ear and in my jaw (left sided). The pain has gone away at around week 7, but the eye still doesn't blink, and the mouth dropping is still there. No improvement. I had stressful things going on in my life about 2 weeks before both occurences. Is this the case with anyone else? They say it's not stress related, but I don't believe that to be the case. The Dr's say it could be the Herpes virus flairing up and for us unlucky few, it hits on C7 nerve causing BP. My belief is that I was under extreme stress which caused by Herpes flair up, and the herpes flair up attacked/affected my C7 nerve causing the palsy. Would love to hear comments, thoughts. Best wishes to all of you.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved