MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
06/13/2009 09:37 AM

my mystery

gee62

Hi, I'm gee

It's hard to identify as everthing is so new and happening so fast. I just recieved a copy of my medical records, so now I feel like I can share with you and not look like a total idiot. Please do not take offense from my particular brand of humor, (it get's warped sometimes) nothing is personal towards anybody, really mostly directed at myself.

Okay I went to the Digestive guy, Dr. Zua. Nice guy. Anyway, my primary doctor sent me to him because I found that not broncial medicines designed to help asthma patients helped my cough.. but pepcid did.. it was like a miracle drug. I've been taking all these medications for years..and this little pink pill for 4.99 a pack solved my coughing and breathing problems. Well.. man that same day I was rushed into see doctor Zua. Went in for an EGD with 48hr pH study. Came out of that with a DeMeester Score of 18.7 - normal 14.72 in the 95th percentile. (?) reflux esophagitis. (?) Path. report evidence of Barrett's. Diagnosis of Barrett's, esophageal reflux. (no dysplasia) I was scheduled for an Upper Endoscopy with Ablation Therapy on 6/3. Went in for that where they found a short segment of Barrett's and ablated with hot biopsy. Instrument used was Olympus GIF - 160

Diagnosis to date is: Esophagitis Erosive Acute and chronic gastritis Barrett's treated with Ablaton Therapy.

They have me on Reglan 4x a day and Nexium 40mg.(well, I have to try this new generic form of nexium for 30 days if that doesn't work insurance will cover the nexium)

Does that sound right to you? This has all happened in 34 days.

My main concern is .. is Barrett's hereditary? Will my Children have to worry? Do I? Obviously I will have to make some lifestyle changes.. especially with my diet. I've started that I've really cut down on coffee and drink no carbonated drinks. Started adding berry's like crazy into my diet. As much as I hate this I'm eating raw green vegitables.

Any info you can share with me, would be great. It's seems like I've been on a world wind.. soaring high above myself.

gee

06/13/2009 12:01 PM
Mubert
Mubert  

Wow, Gee! You have been through a lot lately, and I do feel for you, but it seems to me that you're doing all the right things. I'm not really sure if Barrett's is hereditary or not, especially since it's just now that doctor's are starting to diagnose Barrett's. Please read back through all of the forum posts and you'll find a lot of useful information about diet, meds, exercise, etc. And don't worry about your brand of humor. I enjoy a good healthy dose of it myself. Laughter is a wonderful medicine. The most important thing to do now is follow your doctor's orders and try to relax a little bit. Do you have a follow-up scope scheduled to be sure they got all of the Barrett's? From what I can tell, that's fairly important. As for worrying about whether or not your children will get Barrett's, your lifestyle checnges won't hurt them either, and a healthier lifestyle could help prevent all sorts of diseases. Keep us posted on how you're doing after the ablation. We're all pulling for you! Muriel

06/14/2009 03:28 AM
gee62

Mubert, thank you so much for this response. It felt right to do all the things I am doing. But it never hurts to discuss these things.

My children are older now, one is still living with me though. He is embrassing the new changes (he's 23) He loves blackberries <G>

gee

06/14/2009 03:37 AM
gee62

Mubert,

I forgot .. yes I have a follow up August 18th. I did not hear from the doctor this week, so that means that they did not find any active cancer cells. So whew...

that's all I'm gonna say about that! Stopped gus in

his tracks! (that's what I'm calling it "gus' helps me to identify and fight the real enemy)

gee

Post edited by: gee62, at: 06/14/2009 03:38 AM

06/14/2009 05:21 AM
patty777

Hi Gee, That was interesting that you had upper respiratory disress as well. I also now have severe respitory distress too. I was Dx 2-3 years ago and will soon see a much better physician on Mon. Hmmm thought I was doomed until I just read your post. Thanks

Patty

06/14/2009 05:45 AM
patty777

Gee, I researched a little and found this article on Heredity and BE CA

Hope it helps

The importance of genetic factors in the etiology of esophageal cancer is uncertain. We addressed the question of heredity in a population-based, nationwide case-control study conducted in Sweden during 1995 through 1997. The study involved 189 patients with esophageal adenocarcinoma, 262 with cardia adenocarcinoma, 167 with esophageal squamous cell carcinoma, and, for comparison, 820 control subjects. Familial occurrence of cancer was explored at face-to-face interviews. Logistic regression, with multivariate adjustment for potential confounders, was used to calculate odds ratios (ORs), which estimated relative risk. Occurrence of esophageal cancer among first-degree relatives did not increase the risk of adenocarcinoma or squamous cell carcinoma of the esophagus. Neither were there any significant associations with familial occurrence of gastric cancer or other gastrointestinal tumors. The risk of cardia adenocarcinoma was moderately increased among persons with first-degree relatives with gastric cancer (OR, 1.6; 95% confidence interval, 1.0–2.6). Familial occurrence of any cancer was not associated with increased risks of any of the three studied tumors. In conclusion, heredity does not seem to contribute importantly to the occurrence of esophageal cancer of any histological type. A weak association between familial gastric cancer and the risk of cardia cancer may represent a genetic link.

Blessings

patty

06/14/2009 06:05 AM
Mubert
Mubert  

Gus! I like that, Gee! It sounds like something my crazy family would do. Keep us posted on the follow-up, and congrats on the lack of cancer. That is always good news. Muriel

06/16/2009 05:51 AM
gee62

Patty,

I was really amazed at that little pink pill called pepcid that solved my breathing problems. The doc said it had something to do with the diaphram. It would be in 1 of 2 positions to cause this type of response. when I see him on the 18th I'll ask because I forgot,as I was sidetracked on the Barrett's stuff. But he did say it was all related and that he would know more after the egd or whatever. (I know I sound so with it with the lingo don't I? LOL)

I"m glad it relieves you.. hey how did your doctors appointment go?

gee

06/16/2009 05:54 AM
gee62

Patty

Thank you for looking that up. That is reassuring <whew> OR at least hopeful. It's one thing For me to deal with it.. it's quite another to watch my kids.

Anyway.. I'll look more and see if there's any other studies to back this up! let's hope"

06/16/2009 05:55 AM
gee62

Muriel

I'm glad you like that nickname.. GUS.. LOL

Keeps me focused instead of using everyone around me as a scapegoat.. poor chillin's and husband..

gee

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved