MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/08/2009 09:12 PM

Just wondering...

valroth

I've had Barrett's for quite some time and religiously subject myself to an endoscopy whenever they're due. What are my chances of contracting esophageal cancer?

03/08/2009 09:55 PM
Mubert
Mubert  

Hi! Welcome to the group. I've had Barrett's for a little over a year now, and schedule my endoscopies religiously. Ralph can probably anser your question better than I can, but I would think that a lot depends on the other ways you care for yourself instead of just the endoscopies. What medicines do you take? Have you changed your eating habits? Feel free to browse around in our forums. There are lots of diet and health tips, and there is also a procedure some doctors do called a BARRX ablation. Some members have already had it and can tell you more about it, but it's a procedure to clean out the Barrett's segment from your esophagus. I personally haven't had it done yet because my biopsies have shown no signs of dysplasia. Any more questions, feel free to ask. Hugs, Muriel

03/08/2009 11:07 PM
valroth

Thank you for the information. I have been taking Prilosec OTC, but it's not working as well as it used to. I have a prescription waiting to be picked up for Nexium...hope it works. I haven't had any signs of dysplasia yet, either, so ablation hasn't been recommended. I haven't been watching my diet as closely as I should be, but will check out some of the diets online. Again...thank you!

03/09/2009 05:38 AM
Mubert
Mubert  

Good! No dysplasia! That's a big plus. Hopefully the Nexium will work better for you, and if it doesn't, there are other drugs to try, too. Do you sleep with your upper body elevated? I sleep on a 12" wedge pillow, which works well for me, plus I see a nutritionist to help me sort out ll of the do's and don't's, as I have other medical problems, too. Keep us posted with your progress! Muriel

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved