MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/02/2010 05:34 AM

Severe side effects from PPIs!

Yoda

I don't know what to do. I have tried every PPI out there! I get severe stomach pains and even heartburn. My doc told me to start tapering off and start taking 300 mg of zantac twice a day! It isn't as strong but still good. I am now trying to get off this med, but it is very difficult. I am taking 30mg every other day for 2 weeks, then 15 mg for 2 weeks then I will stop taking it. I have been getting bad heartburn. It scares me. But I know I have no real choice! My wife keeps reminding me that it wasn't anyhow which it wasn't. Any advice or encouragement would be appreciated. Thanks!

05/02/2010 05:41 AM
robs440
robs440  

how long has this been going on?

05/02/2010 06:19 AM
Yoda

This has been going on for about 5 months! Most symptoms go away when skip my PPIs. All the doctors have told me that these drugs don't have side effects and that I would get cancer if I didn't take them. So I obviously took them! I continued to get sicker and sicker. The new Doc I went to said that I am obviuosly alergic and it isn't helping! Now I am trying to get off of this stuff, and yet I want to protect my esophagus as well!

05/02/2010 08:41 AM
robs440
robs440  

damn.not good. when was your last endoscopy? wonder if theres been any changes?

any changes to your diet or stess levels you can trace back to that 5 month time frame?

05/02/2010 08:49 AM
Mubert
Mubert  

All meds aside, have you tried going back to the basics? Are you watching what you eat? When you eat? Do you sleep with your upper body elevated and on your left side? How long do you sit up after eating, and before lying down? I find these things to be just as important, if not more so, than the meds I take. Hope you can find something that works. Hugs, Muriel

05/02/2010 10:23 AM
Yoda

I had an endoscopy 2 weeks ago! I was told just a small segnment, no dysplasia. I am to the letter with diet!

05/02/2010 01:54 PM
robs440
robs440  

i had to go pretty strict on my diet but also cut back to only 1 prilosec a day, about an hour before bed. everything else either wasnt working or upset me real bad...heart racing, headaches, acid worse than when i was taking nothing, etc. i still get some acid pain from time to time during the day but i keep those 1100 MG antacids close and they help a great deal.

05/03/2010 06:05 AM
Yoda

I'm taking these meds but nothing seems to help. I would like to get surgery to take xcare of this!

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved