MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
11/16/2008 09:35 PM

Infected Again.....

Drpatty

Hello everyone. I just thought I would pop in to say hello. I have been offline for a few days while we were waiting for our new modem...fun, fun. We were supposed to go away last week but had to postpone because I was not feeling very well. I rested all week and we are going to try again this week. This bone infection that I have rears its ugly little head a couple of times a year. The thing that is the worst for me is increased pain and severe diaphoresis (sweating). Nobody else can see the pain unless they know me, but they are able to see the horrible sweats. This usually means for me about 6-8 weeks of IV antibiotics. The antibiotics cost $500 a day. There goes this years medicare set aside money. For those of you who are not familiar with me, I just settled my 26 year old work comp case. Before medicare pays for my illness/injury, I must exhaust 46K a year. This is for another 5 years. The allotted money gets put into an account every year and once it is spent, medicare will pick up. Interesting huh.

I will see my infectious disease doc when we return as long as I do not spike a fever.Wink

11/17/2008 03:32 AM
MelJo
MelJo  

Hey Dr Patty,

I've missed talking to you...I'm so sorry you are sickSad I hope you get to feeling better soon and get to take your trip. Take care!Wink

11/17/2008 06:28 AM
Drpatty

Hi sweetie. Thank you for your best wishes. We decided to go on the trip tomorrow because the chances of getting to see the infectious disease doc this week is pretty small. I will make an appointment for next week for the bloodwork and the beginning of the antibiotics.

We are moving to a small town and there are no infectious disease docs. If something is serious, they fly you to Las Vegas. I am not too concerned. One of our builders made an appointment for Dennis and I to talk to the hospital administration.

I missed you also.

How are you?

11/17/2008 10:39 AM
MelJo
MelJo  

I'm doing OK. My second consult said that his opinion was that I had nerve damage from the second laminectomy plus the scar tissue around the nerve was constricting it further..UUGGHH! He said to put the pain in the back of your mind and you will eventually forget about it....RIGHT, that's what I'll doWink Wink I'm going back to my established OS in December and take it from there.

11/17/2008 05:48 PM
Drpatty

Hello Meljo. Look what I did.

11/18/2008 04:39 AM
MelJo
MelJo  

AAWWH, what a pretty butterfly!! If you don't mind me asking, did you say that you were going to have to take IV antibiotics? WOW!

11/18/2008 08:48 AM
Drpatty

Good morning to you Mel. Yes, I did say that I would have to go back on IV antibiotics. The antibiotic that is usually used is called "Daptomyicin" or "Cubicin". This is a fairly new antibiotic. I was one of the first patients to receive this medication for the staph osteomylitis. It works great.

11/18/2008 01:09 PM
MelJo
MelJo  

Well, I sure hope the treatment gets you better real soon! You take careWink

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved