MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/23/2010 09:16 AM

I hate my back

Paige42986

The subject of this is so true I am in so much chronic pain because of my back I am really and truly starting to hate my back. Pain managment around here reeks and I am stuck with no way to control the pain. It is starting to really eat at me. I am so sick of pain doctors being so afraid of the people who abuse pain meds that they forget that there are people out there who legitmatly need the medicine. I am sorry this sounds the way it does but I am hurting and I am not sure how to handle it any more.

04/23/2010 09:36 AM
jaylyn2201
jaylyn2201Posts: 187

vent away... we all know how it feels to be in pain and how frustrating it is when DR.s can't or won't help you control your pain.

I am so sorry you are having to go through this. Just know we are all here for you.

04/24/2010 06:42 AM
Paige42986

Around here there are so many people addicted to painkillers that the dr's are supercautious and give pain killers like little drops of water so no one can abuse them. But they forget people like me who won't abuse them. I am just tired of fighting this pain battle all the time. I am not the person I used to be because of the pain.

04/24/2010 08:06 AM
mcrough8
mcrough8Posts: 101

It can be very frustrating, when Dr's are afraid to prescribe something you legitimately need to control the pain. The pain can really wear on you, and affect your whole outlook. I think long term pain, is as bad, or worse than the risk of becoming somewhat dependant. Most people I know, cut back, or altogether quit the pain meds, as their pain is controlled. I wish some of these Dr's had the kind of pain you are describing, for a little bit. They might be a little more compasionate. Good luck.

04/26/2010 02:41 PM
kjv1956
kjv1956  

Hi Paige42986,

This seems to be the standard operation anymore thanks to those who would rather escape life instead of wanting to have a quality of life. I do not know where here is but I do know that if you do not give up and keep searching there will be someone who will find a way to help you. I cannot say that it will happen soon as in my case it took 27 out of 29 years to have anyone help me. It was not until I changed my PCP that I started to have the tests done that were needed to find answers. Then she had no problem finding me the right Dr's who really want to help me. Unfortunatly in alot of cases there is not much that can be done. Once you really research the spine, nerves, tendons, etc, etc it is mind blowing the difficulty to fix such a complicated area. I have read that brain surgery is less complicated than dealing with the back. I have no idea how long I have to be ambulatory or to have function but I do know that I am going to live each day as if tomorrow will be out of reach. I am going to do some water traction once the pool is warm enough. There is a Dr here that does water PT by putting weights on your ankles in the deeper end and a float type brace around your neck. Then you just hang in the water for 10 to 15 min and gradually increase the weight from 2 to 10 lbs. this stretches the spine gradually. Those that have done it say that they have their life back. I do hope you find something that will releive some of your symptoms.

kjv1956

05/04/2010 07:06 AM
belinda1217
belinda1217  
I'm an Advocate

I have never once had problems getting pain killers.

There are only a few that work with me.

with all the other drugs I take and I've never abused my drugs.

My docs trust me .

Belinda

05/04/2010 10:55 AM
kjv1956
kjv1956  

Belinda1217,

I know many of us pray daily for the same treatment that you have. I have now developed a trusting relationship with my pain mgt Dr's but it was not always the case. It has only been going on three years that I have not had to live in unbearable pain because Dr's don't believe in Rxing pain meds. I just want to encourage those who have not found that same level of care. It took me 29 yrs to find it and I will be very careful not to ruin that trust in any way. Be blessed everyone and keep searching for the right Dr. that will treat you with respect and dignity.

kjv1956

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved