MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/06/2010 03:19 PM

LADIES ONLY - Low Back Pain & "That Time of Month"

sbosse
sbosse  

There is a reason this is a ladies-only type discussion. Men, you probably need to just stop reading right here. Thanks.

For the ladies....

I need to ask a question and I'm hoping you might be able to help me. I have intense back pain during my period that's even worse than my normal chronic pain. Yes, I get cramps. But I also feel like the muscles in my low back just spasm into knots for about a week and a half (starting, usually, the day my period starts and lasting a few days after it ends) and it's incredibly uncomfortable.

I use lidoderm (lidocaine transdermal) patch for my "everyday" back pain, which in itself can be surprisingly intense. But I don't find it very helpful for the kind of back pain that I have during my period, which makes me wonder if what I'm experiencing is really referred pain or if it's truly pain from tightened muscles in my low back.

Does anyone else experience this as well?

What does and/or does not work for you?

Do you have any suggestions?

THANK YOU, LADIES!

04/06/2010 07:18 PM
fluffyluggage
fluffyluggage  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Hi sbosse,

I'm not sure if I've seen you here or not, so just in case, welcome to the forum. I can answer you definitively a massive YES! it happens to me as well. I get severe lower back pain that is different from my normal pain when my period comes, which is part of the reason I'm on BC that prevents me from having a period except for twice a year (my doc's assured me this is ok).

What I can't answer is if this is referred pain or muscle spasms, but if I had to guess, I'd guess it was muscle spasms. You have cramps from the uterus contracting, and I'm guessing that the back pain is caused by the back muscles also contracting as well. Most of the muscles are connected, after all.

As for what helps, me, I take a cocktail of vic/val. It seems to help with both pain/inflammation and muscle spasms. But I also use heat packs and ice packs as well. And I try to move around some, which helps. The more I can move around and not get stuck in the same spot, it seems to help keep me from being sore and getting stiff. This can help reduce muscle spasms.

If you have a TENS unit, that will work wonders. Or a back massager works well, too. Those kinds of things are great.

I'm sure others will have suggestions, but you can try some of those.

Hugs,

jen Smile

04/11/2010 10:57 AM
newrsd

I don't have too much good advise but u r not alone. My definitely gets worse at that time of the month as well as other random times.

Since I have regular pain meds for my RSD (they give me much more sparingly for my back because of all i am on already) i sometimes use them for my back as needed.

i didn't find licoderm patches to help but glad that they do something for you.

Sometimes, suprising enough extra strength tylenol or other OTC creams (such as ben gay) can do something.

I also use tens and hot baths as needed.

04/11/2010 11:00 AM
newrsd

well... i just wrote a whole long post and i deleted it by mistake. Wink so i will write in short because my hands are tired. (cts kicking in) Cool

- yes, my back pain gets worse at that time of the month.

- generally i take some type of pain killers when it gets unbearable. I have my regular pain killers which i take for RSD so I use those also for my back if needed.

- Tens and whirlpool or hot bath help. i also found swimming in warm water to be helpful.

- some OTC creams or meds also did something for me but its hit or miss as far as what will help you.

- take it a little easy physically and get some extra sleep if you can.

- go to the dr. while its bad so that he can see the max. that it affects you.

Good luck.

04/12/2010 06:41 PM
sbosse
sbosse  

Thanks for the replies. I use TENS as well, and that definitely helps me. Sometimes I use bengay or other menthol creams on my back, at least with the intention of distracting me from the pain much like the TENS does. But I literally get so tight that I feel like a stiff board and simply CANNOT move those muscles in my back and WOW is it ever painful! Nothing so far has seemed to work well on loosening me up considerably. After I clean my shower/tub (*wink*), I will consider trying the Epsom salt bath again.

Thanks for your replies!! Laughing (I am glad to know I'm not the only one experiencing this!)

04/12/2010 09:20 PM
fluffyluggage
fluffyluggage  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

If your cramps are this severe, you may want to talk to your OB/GYN and see if being on birth control that would prevent you from having a period every single month (like what I do) would benefit you. Additionally, you may want to see if it would be advisable to get some extra muscle relaxers for during this time of the month--something like valium or a valium/vicodin cocktail to take. I have to do both, as I have PMDD. I have 2 periods a year (think I said that above, but not sure), as my PMDD is pretty bad, and I also tend to have to take vic/val cocktail for a day or 2 during about 1 or 2 of the big days. It might be worth a check out.

Hugs and hope that helps,

Jen Smile

10/22/2010 12:56 AM
missamelie

THANK YOU for this post!!! it is 1am and i cannot sleep due to this exact issue. i finally put it all together. i have spinal cord pain (i have syringomyelia, surgery in 2006, chronic horrible spinal/back pain, etc..) but the day before my period extending all the way thru the end (plus a few days) the pain in my lower back is off the charts! i have tried my tens unit, massage, bengay, pain med, anxiety med, acupuncture, etc (these only give slight relief)...stretching seems to help, but i must do it a few times daily for it to help a little. also, a cold pack seems to help more than the heating pad for me during this time (i use the heating pad always except during my menstrual cycle). i guess the cold numbs the pain for a little,but it is always a challenge each month.

i hope we all get some relief real soon! thinking of everyone fondly Smile

Post edited by: missamelie, at: 10/22/2010 12:58 AM

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved