MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/11/2010 07:45 PM

Ever tried meditation?

carollives
carollives  

So, I had a meeting with my therapist earlier today and she recommended that I try something called transendental(sp?) meditation as a tool to use against anxiety in stressful situations. Basic concept is that you repeat a word or phrase in your head, over and over. You're supposed to focus on that phrase and just relax. Everything just kinda goes away and later, some of that relaxation is supposed to stay with you. I tried it(phrase:my hazel eyes are pretty) on the way home and I did relax.

Anyone ever tried or heard of anything like this? Love to know! Smile

--- The discussion has been locked ---

03/11/2010 08:23 PM
vickiem1124
vickiem1124  
VIP Member

no

03/12/2010 02:52 AM
sharone
sharone  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Laughing Can you really do meditation while operating a vehicle? Isn't that risky?

yes, I've tried meditation. It is really tough at first. And, honestly, I haven't done it for a few weeks but it is really tough. They recommend that you sit upright so that your body is not relaxed, so that there's some tension. And then you focus. It's a discipline. Instead I've been working on yoga. LOVE that. It really does extend beyond the time that you do it.

Keep us posted on how meditation works out! You're making me think I want to try it again! Smile

03/12/2010 06:38 AM
anamore
anamore  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I bought a dvd on yoga and meditation, it is really relaxing especiallly doing the meditation after the yoga. You really should try it, takes all the tension from the body and you feel very relaxed, repeating one word might work if like Sharone said you were sitting down, relaxed in a quiet room and while you are saying this one phrase relax your body like lirst one hand, then arm, then shoulder snd so on. So each time you say the word relax another part of the body, that might work, or just concentrate on relaxing that part of the body w/o saying that work. Let me know how you do

03/12/2010 12:27 PM
carollives
carollives  

Oh! No, I wasn't driving! LOL I would get myself killed! Laughing

I'll let you know how it works for me. I've been doing some yoga, too. I was surprised at how hard some of the poses are to do. I'm not very flexible, yet... My favorite thing to do as far as exercise goes, it to walk and run in the park after I drop my squirmy kid off at school. It's almost exactly 1 mile around the road that circles the park. There is also access to the Duck River, that's where I went to meditate this morning. It's extremely peaceful and relaxing with the bubbly river sounds and the birdsong.

03/12/2010 02:41 PM
sharone
sharone  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

That's great, Caroline. If you had been driving I'd feel glad you don't live anywhere close to me. But, now that I see that's not the case AND that you spend your days babbling beside bubbly brooks, I wish you were close to my home!

I know which one word use for yoga, anamore! markm, markm, markm. Laughing I'm sorry. I'm just cracking me up. My son and I are headed to DC in a month, health tests be damned! Smile

03/12/2010 04:59 PM
carollives
carollives  

LOL, Babbling beside bubbling brooks? I don't do it out loud! I don't want to be known as the crazy lady that babbles to the fishes! Laughing

You guys are close to my heart Smile HUGS

03/12/2010 06:41 PM
anamore
anamore  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

sharone Now how did you know that, not only are you a great leader but also pychcic..wow amazing, and it works too. You are cracking me up too. What is this about health tests and what are you going to DC for, a vacation or what. Your cracking up has got me confused, too much meditation and markm on the brain

03/12/2010 06:45 PM
anamore
anamore  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

carol we will keep your secret that you talk to fishes, sharones cracking up is catching, I think we all need vaccines now, the more the better and happier we will be, right Markm

03/12/2010 06:45 PM
vickiem1124
vickiem1124  
VIP Member

?????????

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved